Old 04-25-2008, 06:18 PM
"Paderick Lundy"

Default formatting hard disk..what do I not know?

I have used Unix since 1986 and I have installed many, many copies of Unix/Linux over the past years but this Unbuntu installation has me stumped, perhaps someone can point me to some information that explains my problem.

First I downloaded the newest version Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Server Edition.* When I try to partition the hard drives in my box (SATA 320GB and SATA 74GB)* I get a screen that tells me the root partition that I had tried to format to a size of 500MB must be at least 19 GB.* I ran linux/Unix root partitions of 50 MB for years, what gives that I need 19 GB?

Next I created a partition of 3 GB on the second HD for swap and the software gave me another error message that this was not permissible.*

I guess my real question is;* has the Linux community gotten to the point where a user cannot or does not have the freedom to configure their own equipment the way they please or is this version going in the direction of Mickey$oft and making all of the decisions for the user?

This post is not meant to be a flame, I have been away from Linux for awhile, have a spare machine and decided to see what's new in Linux.* I need some reorientation and I would appreciate a link that will explain the design philosophy behind this version of Linux since it's popularity would appear that it is the Leading version of Linux.

Thank you,
--
Joseph Patrick Ryan

The secret of greatness is simple: do better work than any other man in your field - and keep on doing it.
Wilfred A. Peterson

Old 04-25-2008, 06:27 PM
Damian Piotr Melniczuk

Paderick Lundy napisaƂ(a):
> I have used Unix since 1986 and I have installed many, many copies of
> Unix/Linux over the past years but this Unbuntu installation has me stumped,
> perhaps someone can point me to some information that explains my problem.
>
> First I downloaded the newest version Ubuntu 8.04 LTS Server Edition. When
> I try to partition the hard drives in my box (SATA 320GB and SATA 74GB) I
> get a screen that tells me the root partition that I had tried to format to
> a size of 500MB must be at least 19 GB. I ran linux/Unix root partitions of
> 50 MB for years, what gives that I need 19 GB?
>
> Next I created a partition of 3 GB on the second HD for swap and the
> software gave me another error message that this was not permissible.
>
> I guess my real question is; has the Linux community gotten to the point
> where a user cannot or does not have the freedom to configure their own
> equipment the way they please or is this version going in the direction of
> Mickey$oft and making all of the decisions for the user?
>
> This post is not meant to be a flame, I have been away from Linux for
> awhile, have a spare machine and decided to see what's new in Linux. I need
> some reorientation and I would appreciate a link that will explain the
> design philosophy behind this version of Linux since it's popularity would
> appear that it is the Leading version of Linux.
>
> Thank you,

As far as I read here
(http://www.ubuntu.com/products/whatisubuntu/serveredition/techspecs)
You need 1GB of hard disk. So I guess that 19 GB is some kind of error.
Maybe You should try use something like gparted
(http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php), and after making partitions
run ubuntu installer.

--
Damian "Czubek" Melniczuk

czubek.wordpress.com

Old 04-25-2008, 06:29 PM
Jayson Rowe

[...]

I do not think it would be remotely possible to fit even a basic Ubuntu
Server install on a 500MB root partition - I could see maybe a small
50MB-200-MB /boot partition but that's too small for / in this day and age
IMHO

-jayson--
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com