Old 04-25-2008, 01:35 AM
Munroe

Default Simple Word processor

I am looking at edubuntu, however, I need a simple interactive word
processor for K thru 2nd grade. I looked at some of the documentation
but didn't see anything like that, but I could be wrong.

- Munroe

Old 04-25-2008, 06:43 AM
Damian Piotr Melniczuk

Munroe napisaƂ(a):
> I am looking at edubuntu, however, I need a simple interactive word
> processor for K thru 2nd grade. I looked at some of the documentation
> but didn't see anything like that, but I could be wrong.
>
> - Munroe

Hi.
Maybe AbiWord (http://www.abisource.com/) which is in repository?
Have a nice day.

--
Damian "Czubek" Melniczuk

czubek.wordpress.com

Old 04-25-2008, 08:03 AM

> Maybe AbiWord (http://www.abisource.com/) which is in repository?
> Have a nice day.
>
> --
> Damian "Czubek" Melniczuk

I really do not know does this one exists yet, but there are plans about
KWord for children.

http://labs.trolltech.com/blogs/2007/11/10/koffice-in-educational-settings/
http://ingwa2.blogspot.com/2005/09/koffice-kids-office.html

Best Regards Asmo Koskinen.

Old 04-25-2008, 05:45 PM
Joseph Ollis

Munroe wrote:
> I am looking at edubuntu, however, I need a simple interactive word
> processor for K thru 2nd grade. I looked at some of the documentation
> but didn't see anything like that, but I could be wrong.
>
> - Munroe

IMHO - I have used abiword with 1st & 2nd graders and it works fine. For
Kindergarten students word processing is a dexterity challenge so I
would start by spending a lot of time in ktouch, etc.. before attempting
word processing.

JO

Old 04-26-2008, 10:53 AM
nigel barker

IMHO Abiword offers nothing over OOo. There are no drawing tools, for
example, and the wrap options have no graphical indicator. Sure, it
loads faster on a normal computer, but on a thin client the difference
is negligible. Then once you are in, you have a full adult word processor.
I posted a request bug on abiword a few years ago about skinning it to
be child friendly. I think this is an area where Linux is weak.
Something like storybook weaver or creative writer is what we need.
I start using OOo in grade 2. Before that I use kolourpaint with
templates that I create, then kids have to select sentences and move
them around, or type a few words in the right place. Unfortunately, text
boxes don't wrap.

I wonder if a skinned abiword (like the OLPC word processor) could make
its way into gcompris or something like that?
Does anyone know how to get OLPC apps on normal linux?

nigel

Old 04-28-2008, 07:55 PM
"Greg Reagle"

I prefer Abiword over Open Office (OOo) for my own use because of its
better performance and less need for RAM. Abiword is simpler than OOo,
but I consider them both to be "adult" word processors. I found the
package junior-writing, which depends on Abiword. Perhaps for children
as young as K - 2nd grade, a simple text editor would be preferable to a
word processor. There are very many text editors. A few are gedit,
kedit, and gtkedit.

--
greg reagle | computer technician, system administrator | community it
innovators - CITI | 202-234-1600 ext. 353