Old 04-17-2008, 04:53 PM
Asmo Koskinen

Default whats the best way to upgrade openoffice in 7.04?

john kirjoitti:
> Can anyone tell me the the preferred path for an upgrade?

Remove old OOo and install new one from OOo deb-package.

http://download.openoffice.org/other.html

Linux deb package works just fine with Ubuntu.

Best Regards Asmo Koskinen.

Old 04-18-2008, 03:28 PM
john

Thanks very much Asmo.

John

Old 04-22-2008, 03:00 PM
"Greg Reagle"

I recommend Ubuntu Backports. See
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuBackports.

--
greg reagle | computer technician, system administrator | community it
innovators - CITI | 202-234-1600 ext. 353

Old 04-22-2008, 09:09 PM
john

Thank you Greg,

I never understood what the back-ports repository was for before.

I appreciate the pointer.

John

Old 04-23-2008, 04:21 AM
Asmo Koskinen

Greg Reagle kirjoitti:
> I recommend Ubuntu Backports. See
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuBackports.

There is no updated OpenOffice for 7.04?

http://packages.ubuntu.com/feisty-backports/allpackages?format=txt.gz

Best Regards Asmo Koskinen.

Old 04-23-2008, 03:45 PM
john

Strange but true. There doesn't appear to be a back port of
OpenOffice. I don't understand why perhaps someone else has an idea
about this?

I finally used this howto:

http://user.services.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=68

Which points out you must uninstall the older version completely
before attempting the upgrade and also makes clear you ought to apply
the integrations which makes things look better.

There isn't a README or INSTALL provided with the stock OO.deb AFAIKT.
Lame, lame, lame.

Unfortunately in the end I wasn't able to upgrade because the new
install would have forced all 500 of my student users to click through
the licensing dialog again. I had this licked under 2.2 but I guess
the Sun folks moved some things around.

<rant>
I'd love to see a master config file where you can specify defaults
for all users, and I understand that this may have been an OO feature
back in the early 1.x days. I assume that this was removed and it
annoys me. I spent hours tracking down files here and there and use
/etc/profile kludges to get kids drive paths, file format defaults,
etc right. I've seen this rant a lot of other places so I guess this
is one itch that isn't being scratched for some reason.

But it's still worth it to me to put up with broken/mis-engineered
Free software rather than the proprietary alternative. :-) </rant>

John

Old 04-24-2008, 10:24 PM
"Greg Reagle"

> <rant>
> I'd love to see a master config file where you can specify defaults
> for all users,

It is a standard convention for Unix programs to have the global config
file in /etc and user settings in their home directories. Too bad Open
Office doesn't respect this convention.

Have you filed a bug or checked whether someone else already has?
Ideally, the Open Office developers should take care of this, but maybe
Ubuntu developers would write a patch if there is enough complaints. It
is a big pain not to be able to set the default file format for all
users.