Old 09-25-2012, 06:13 PM
"David Trask"

Default Need help with monitor resolution Dell Optiplex GX620

I fixed it...I learned not all DVI is the same. *The 620's use DVI-I...you need to have a DVI-I adapter.

Odin NÝsen <odin@gnuskole.no> writes:
I have a bunch of Dell Optiplex GX620's that I want to use in my lab. *They have one video output with a DVI-VGA dongle. *I am using a DVI to VGA adapter to connect to my VGA only ACER G185H monitor which has a native resolution of 1366x768 running at 60 hz

So...no matter what I try (I've pasted my entry in lts.conf below...and I've tried varying options within by commenting things out...etc) *My xrandr -q output on the thin-client says that VGA1 is active and for modes up to 1024x768 (which looks silly on a 16.9 monitor of this size) *It also says DVI1 is disconnected. *I'm running Edubuntu 12.04....and I'd really like to solve this...it's about the only thing I have left. *Any ideas?

I think you are out of luck... :-(

We've had the same problem with a lot of Optiplexes with only a HDMI-output and using a HDMI->VGA-dongle. If we use HDMI X always chooses the right resolutions from the EDID-information. If we use VGA EDID, for some reason, always collapses to default 1024x768, 800x600 and 640x480. I think this is because they save some pennies by not connection all the pins in the VGA-port.

Doing a simple X_MODE_0=1366x768 won't work, because it isn't a mode from EDID while using the VGA1-port.*

I've searched the Internett for a solutions, but the only thing that I find is making a xorg.conf-file with some kind of default setup with the right monitor modes. You can use a xconf.conf generated when you use the DVI-connection as a start.

Odin

*[00:12:3f:c0:a8:81]
*HOSTNAME = L11
*XRANDR_DISABLE=True
*XRANDR_OUTPUT_0 = "VGA1"
*XRANDR_OUTPUT_1 = "DVI1 --off"
*X_MODE_0=1366x768
*XRANDR_RATE_0 = 60

David Trask
Technology Director/Teacher
Vassalboro Community School
dtrask@vcsvikings.org
(207) 923-4305

Old 09-25-2012, 08:13 PM
Peter k

Interesting. And dell originally provided dvi-d cables for the
gx620's. What adapters/cables are you buying to fix it?
-peter