-   -   Does the "find" command cache file system info? (http://www.linux-archive.org/edubuntu-user/704170-does-find-command-cache-file-system-info.html)

John Hupp 09-15-2012 10:28 PM

Does the "find" command cache file system info?

I'm curious about this observation: If I do a find
search on the root directory, it ordinarily takes a minute or two
-- as one would expect if it were examining everything afresh.

But if I follow that up with a different find search on the
root, it finishes in a few seconds.

Does find cache file system information and reuse it under
certain conditions?* Or does Linux itself cache some sort of
information from an initial search that a subsequent search
benefits from?

Joshua Smith 09-15-2012 11:22 PM

Does the "find" command cache file system info?

Find doesn't cache per se but the file system does.*

--Josh SmithKD8HRX
Email/jabber: juicewvu@gmail.comPhone: 304.237.9369(c)
Sent from my iPhone

John Hupp 09-15-2012 11:33 PM

Does the "find" command cache file system info?

That's good to know.* Thanks!

On 9/15/2012 7:22 PM, Joshua Smith
Find doesn't cache per se but the file system does.*

John Hupp 09-15-2012 11:36 PM

Does the "find" command cache file system info?

Josh Smith from the Ubuntu mail
list responded: "Find doesn't cache per se but the file system
does."

Liam Proven 09-16-2012 04:06 PM

On 16 September 2012 00:16, John Hupp <ubuntu@prpcompany.com> wrote:
> I'm curious about this observation: If I do a find search on the root
> directory, it ordinarily takes a minute or two -- as one would expect if it
> were examining everything afresh.
>
> But if I follow that up with a different find search on the root, it
> finishes in a few seconds.
>
> Does find cache file system information and reuse it under certain
> conditions? Or does Linux itself cache some sort of information from an
> initial search that a subsequent search benefits from?

This is precisely what a disk cache is *for*. It is the purpose of its
existence. It caches the indices of, well, pretty much all the
directories of your disk, so next time, the search is purely in
memory.

Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884

John Hupp 09-16-2012 04:54 PM

Does the "find" command cache file system info?

Thanks.* Josh Smith made pretty
much the same astute observation.

On 9/16/2012 12:06 PM, Liam Proven