-   -   Need help with monitor resolution Dell Optiplex GX620 (http://www.linux-archive.org/edubuntu-user/703563-need-help-monitor-resolution-dell-optiplex-gx620.html)

"David Trask" 08-12-2012 12:26 AM

Need help with monitor resolution Dell Optiplex GX620

Ok folks...another one...

I have a bunch of Dell Optiplex GX620's that I want to use in my lab. *They have one video output with a DVI-VGA dongle. *I am using a DVI to VGA adapter to connect to my VGA only ACER G185H monitor which has a native resolution of 1366x768 running at 60 hz

So...no matter what I try (I've pasted my entry in lts.conf below...and I've tried varying options within by commenting things out...etc) *My xrandr -q output on the thin-client says that VGA1 is active and for modes up to 1024x768 (which looks silly on a 16.9 monitor of this size) *It also says DVI1 is disconnected. *I'm running Edubuntu 12.04....and I'd really like to solve this...it's about the only thing I have left. *Any ideas?

*[00:12:3f:c0:a8:81]
*HOSTNAME = L11
*XRANDR_DISABLE=True
*XRANDR_OUTPUT_0 = "VGA1"
*XRANDR_OUTPUT_1 = "DVI1 --off"
*X_MODE_0=1366x768
*XRANDR_RATE_0 = 60

David Trask
Technology Director/Teacher
Vassalboro Community School
dtrask@vcsvikings.org
(207) 923-4305

Richard Doyle 09-13-2012 05:56 PM

On 08/11/2012 05:26 PM, David Trask wrote:
> Ok folks...another one...
>
> I have a bunch of Dell Optiplex GX620's that I want to use in my lab.
> They have one video output with a DVI-VGA dongle. I am using a DVI to
> VGA adapter to connect to my VGA only ACER G185H monitor which has a
> native resolution of 1366x768 running at 60 hz
>
> So...no matter what I try (I've pasted my entry in lts.conf below...and
> I've tried varying options within by commenting things out...etc) My
> xrandr -q output on the thin-client says that VGA1 is active and for
> modes up to 1024x768 (which looks silly on a 16.9 monitor of this size)
> It also says DVI1 is disconnected. I'm running Edubuntu 12.04....and
> I'd really like to solve this...it's about the only thing I have left.
> Any ideas?
>
> [00:12:3f:c0:a8:81]
> HOSTNAME = L11
> XRANDR_DISABLE=True

Why disable? Wouldn't that disable the following XRANDR_* commands?

Odin NÝsen 09-13-2012 06:01 PM

Need help with monitor resolution Dell Optiplex GX620

I have a bunch of Dell Optiplex GX620's that I want to use in my lab. *They have one video output with a DVI-VGA dongle. *I am using a DVI to VGA adapter to connect to my VGA only ACER G185H monitor which has a native resolution of 1366x768 running at 60 hz

So...no matter what I try (I've pasted my entry in lts.conf below...and I've tried varying options within by commenting things out...etc) *My xrandr -q output on the thin-client says that VGA1 is active and for modes up to 1024x768 (which looks silly on a 16.9 monitor of this size) *It also says DVI1 is disconnected. *I'm running Edubuntu 12.04....and I'd really like to solve this...it's about the only thing I have left. *Any ideas?

I think you are out of luck... :-(
We've had the same problem with a lot of Optiplexes with only a HDMI-output and using a HDMI->VGA-dongle. If we use HDMI X always chooses the right resolutions from the EDID-information. If we use VGA EDID, for some reason, always collapses to default 1024x768, 800x600 and 640x480. I think this is because they save some pennies by not connection all the pins in the VGA-port.

Doing a simple X_MODE_0=1366x768 won't work, because it isn't a mode from EDID while using the VGA1-port.*
I've searched the Internett for a solutions, but the only thing that I find is making a xorg.conf-file with some kind of default setup with the right monitor modes. You can use a xconf.conf generated when you use the DVI-connection as a start.

Odin

Alkis Georgopoulos 09-13-2012 07:34 PM

Need help with monitor resolution Dell Optiplex GX620

Try setting X_HORZSYNC / X_VERTREFRESH to some high values, and
XRANDR_MODE_0 / XRANDR_RATE_0 to the values you want.

Remove any other X_* variables from lts.conf.