-   -   SSD and magnetic drives: configuration (http://www.linux-archive.org/edubuntu-user/702671-ssd-magnetic-drives-configuration.html)

Matt Johnson 09-11-2012 07:56 AM

SSD and magnetic drives: configuration

*All,

(Reposted with a subject line!)
* Is it a sensible idea to install solid state drives in a ltsp server?

* Could we expect to benefit significantly (60 workstations, 32 used*concurrently in a lab)?

* If so... With solid state drives faster but more expensive than traditional magnetic drives, would it make sense to install the root directory (/) on solid state but /home on the traditional drive just for user file storage?

* That got me thinking... If I'm on the right lines, what other directories would it make sense to mount on the traditional drive rather than the more expensive but faster drive (and still*enjoy*a much faster system)?

Thanks as always.

--*
Matt

David Groos 09-13-2012 12:49 AM

SSD and magnetic drives: configuration

Hey Mat, I'm thinking an SSD-performance-effect would depend on which implementation of ltsp you are thinking: thin client, localapps, fat client. However, I can't answer but this would help frame the problem. I would guess the smallest benefit would be with fat clients. Would be interesting hearing some test results…

David

Matt Johnson 09-13-2012 09:48 AM

SSD and magnetic drives: configuration

>________________________________

Hi David,

Good point. I'm going to go ahead and order a new machine to act as our new server - 128gb SSD, 2tb SATA magnetic drive, 16gb RAM. I'll report my findings on impact, though as you say, when we install 12.04 on it, I hope to implement 32 fat clients and 32 thin clients (with remote apps) rather than our 64 thin client current 10.04 solution. That should deliver some real improvement in performance as we reduce load from the server - though performance is really okay at the moment.

Exciting project! Should be very ¬*fast on new and old workstation hardware :)

Thanks.

--
Matt

Joseph Bishay 09-14-2012 10:54 AM

SSD and magnetic drives: configuration

Good morning,

I implemented a similar setup at our location:

1 Intel i7 core with 12 GB RAM

1 OCZ SSD drive with PCI-express interface (research found it was MUCH
faster than the SATA interface). 2 x 1 TB WD Platter SATA drives in
mirror RAID configuration for /home -- everything else was mounted on
the SSD

So far we've got about 20 thin clients running off this machine
without a hiccup and the server is not breaking a sweat.

I hope that helps!
Joseph