Old 04-15-2008, 02:38 PM
"Charles Austin"

Default local device (USB-stick) and users groups problem

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 10:09 AM, Ismail ISLEYEN <isleyen@comu.edu.tr> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have installed Edubuntu 7.10 on Dell Poweredge 2800 server (Xeon 3.6
> Ghz x 2, 12 GB Ram, 146 x 4 Hdd) in computer room. There are 40 HP T5000
> (T5525) clients to connect to the server. I have an urgent problem to be
> solved as soon as possible. I would appreciate any help.
>
> The problem is as follows:
>
> To sum
>
> 1. USB flash drive or "local device" is active only in the first user,
> others cannot use USB flash drives. For example while one who logs in
> with thin1 can use USB flash drive, other users who loged in later
> cannot use USB flash drive. I tried this in different accounts and
> clients but no way.

This is a known bug in 7.10. I have tried several different fixes,
but none seem to work. Hopefully Hardy will fix this.

> 2. The group of users which I configure through graphic interface
> apeears as thin2 after the second user. Is it normal?
> user group
> thin1 thin1
> thin2 thin2
> thin3 thin2
> thin4 thin2
> ..... thin2

Are you talking about the Add User interface in Edubuntu? Each user
normally defaults to its own group.

> 3. When 25 users are logged in, the usage of RAM is 30%, and of
> processor is 45% but I cannot use student control panel. What is the
> possible reason for this?

Take a look at this link, you have to do a few things to get it working:

https://wiki.edubuntu.org/InstallX11VncOnLtspClients

> 4. With 25 users logged in some users have "gnome-desktop-manager" error
> and cannot open desktop. Although I deleted all files in user folder and
> removed them from tmp folder, the system gives the same error. What can
> you suggest as solution?

What type of network are you running? What is the speed of the uplink
from the server to the network? Are the problems specific to certain
machines, or do they happen regardless of which machine is the 26th to
attempt log in?

Regards,
Charles

Old 04-15-2008, 03:28 PM
Richard Doyle

On Tue, 2008-04-15 at 17:10 +0300, Ismail ISLEYEN wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have installed Edubuntu 7.10 on Dell Poweredge 2800 server (Xeon 3.6
> Ghz x 2, 12 GB Ram, 146 x 4 Hdd) in computer room. There are 40 HP T5000
> (T5525) clients to connect to the server. I have an urgent problem to be
> solved as soon as possible. I would appreciate any help.

<snip>

> 1. USB flash drive or "local device" is active only in the first user,
> others cannot use USB flash drives. For example while one who logs in
> with thin1 can use USB flash drive, other users who loged in later
> cannot use USB flash drive. I tried this in different accounts and
> clients but no way.

Sounds like the bug in
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ltsp/+bug/160420
and related reports. According to Oliver the fix is in Hardy, and can be
applied to Gutsy by commenting out the following line
in /usr/sbin/ltspfsmounter on the server:

env['DISPLAY'] = 'localhost:10.0'

Old 04-16-2008, 01:32 PM
Ismail ISLEYEN

Charles Austin yazmış:

[...]

yes, you are right, I hope it will be fixed

2. The group of users which I configure through graphic interface
apeears as thin2 after the second user. Is it normal?
user group
thin1 thin1
thin2 thin2
thin3 thin2
thin4 thin2
..... thin2

Are you talking about the Add User interface in Edubuntu? Each user
normally defaults to its own group.

yes, I have this problem when I create a user
using edubuntu interface. While I create a user on console there is no
problem.

3. When 25 users are logged in, the usage of RAM is 30%, and of
processor is 45% but I cannot use student control panel. What is the
possible reason for this?

Take a look at this link, you have to do a few things to get it working:

https://wiki.edubuntu.org/InstallX11VncOnLtspClients

my problem is not about Vnc but about getting
response lately. sometimes the system crashs

4. With 25 users logged in some users have "gnome-desktop-manager" error
and cannot open desktop. Although I deleted all files in user folder and
removed them from tmp folder, the system gives the same error. What can
you suggest as solution?

What type of network are you running? What is the speed of the uplink
from the server to the network? Are the problems specific to certain
machines, or do they happen regardless of which machine is the 26th to

The speed of uplink from server to network is GB.
The problem is not specific to certain clients, they just happen any
client after 25th.

attempt log in?

Regards,
Charles

---------------------------------------

Jean-Francois CLEMENT;

do you have every users members of group "fuse" in /etc/group ?

yes every user is a member of fuse group

---------------------------------------

Richard Doyle;

Sounds like the bug in
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ltsp/+bug/160420
and related reports. According to Oliver the fix is in Hardy, and can be
applied to Gutsy by commenting out the following line
in /usr/sbin/ltspfsmounter on the server:

env['DISPLAY'] = 'localhost:10.0'

The comment you have mentioned is already there;

Thanks for all

--
Uzm.Ismail ISLEYEN
C.O.M.Ü. Kut. ve Dok. Dai. Bsk.ligi