Old 04-15-2008, 02:09 PM
Ismail ISLEYEN

Default local device (USB-stick) and users groups problem

Hi,

I have installed Edubuntu 7.10 on Dell Poweredge 2800 server (Xeon 3.6
Ghz x 2, 12 GB Ram, 146 x 4 Hdd) in computer room. There are 40 HP T5000
(T5525) clients to connect to the server. I have an urgent problem to be
solved as soon as possible. I would appreciate any help.

The problem is as follows:

1. Installation and updates are OK.

2. 12 RAM is provided with "linux-image-server".

3. etc/ltsp/dhcpd.conf a client mac addresses are added and 192.168
addressess are changed as 10.0.

4. Details for etc/network/interfaces ---> eth1 are changed as
follows:
address 10.0.0.254
netmask 255.255.255.0
network 10.0.0.0
broadcast 10.0.0.255

5. Users are added to the system through graphic interface

6. Users are arranged as follows:
/etc/hosts a
10.0.0.101 thin1
10.0.0.102 thin2

7. etc/default/dhcp3-server ----> is changed as "eth1"

8. I have configured lts.conf file as explained in Asmo Koskinen's
e-mail
(https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/edubuntu-users/2008-March/003805.html)
[default]
SOUND=True
LOCALDEV=True
LDM_SERVER="10.0.0.254"
LDM_DIRECTX=True
X_RAMPERC=80
X_COLOR_DEPTH=16

To sum

1. USB flash drive or "local device" is active only in the first user,
others cannot use USB flash drives. For example while one who logs in
with thin1 can use USB flash drive, other users who loged in later
cannot use USB flash drive. I tried this in different accounts and
clients but no way.

2. The group of users which I configure through graphic interface
apeears as thin2 after the second user. Is it normal?
user group
thin1 thin1
thin2 thin2
thin3 thin2
thin4 thin2
..... thin2

3. When 25 users are logged in, the usage of RAM is 30%, and of
processor is 45% but I cannot use student control panel. What is the
possible reason for this?

4. With 25 users logged in some users have "gnome-desktop-manager" error
and cannot open desktop. Although I deleted all files in user folder and
removed them from tmp folder, the system gives the same error. What can
you suggest as solution?

I need to solve the above mentioned problems before open the system to
users.

I sincerely thank everybody in advance for their time and help.

Old 04-15-2008, 02:10 PM
Ismail ISLEYEN

--
Uzm.Ismail ISLEYEN
C.O.M.U. Kut. ve Dok. Dai. Bsk.ligi

Old 04-15-2008, 02:23 PM
Jean-Francois CLEMENT

Hi,

do you have every users members of group "fuse" in /etc/group ?

regards
JFC

Ismail ISLEYEN a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I have installed Edubuntu 7.10 on Dell Poweredge 2800 server (Xeon 3.6
> Ghz x 2, 12 GB Ram, 146 x 4 Hdd) in computer room. There are 40 HP T5000
> (T5525) clients to connect to the server. I have an urgent problem to be
> solved as soon as possible. I would appreciate any help.
>
> The problem is as follows:
>
> 1. Installation and updates are OK.
>
> 2. 12 RAM is provided with "linux-image-server".
>
> 3. etc/ltsp/dhcpd.conf a client mac addresses are added and 192.168
> addressess are changed as 10.0.
>
> 4. Details for etc/network/interfaces ---> eth1 are changed as
> follows:
> address 10.0.0.254
> netmask 255.255.255.0
> network 10.0.0.0
> broadcast 10.0.0.255
>
> 5. Users are added to the system through graphic interface
>
> 6. Users are arranged as follows:
> /etc/hosts a
> 10.0.0.101 thin1
> 10.0.0.102 thin2
>
> 7. etc/default/dhcp3-server ----> is changed as "eth1"
>
> 8. I have configured lts.conf file as explained in Asmo Koskinen's
> e-mail
> (https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/edubuntu-users/2008-March/003805.html)
> [default]
> SOUND=True
> LOCALDEV=True
> LDM_SERVER="10.0.0.254"
> LDM_DIRECTX=True
> X_RAMPERC=80
> X_COLOR_DEPTH=16
>
> To sum
>
> 1. USB flash drive or "local device" is active only in the first user,
> others cannot use USB flash drives. For example while one who logs in
> with thin1 can use USB flash drive, other users who loged in later
> cannot use USB flash drive. I tried this in different accounts and
> clients but no way.
>
> 2. The group of users which I configure through graphic interface
> apeears as thin2 after the second user. Is it normal?
> user group
> thin1 thin1
> thin2 thin2
> thin3 thin2
> thin4 thin2
> ..... thin2
>
> 3. When 25 users are logged in, the usage of RAM is 30%, and of
> processor is 45% but I cannot use student control panel. What is the
> possible reason for this?
>
> 4. With 25 users logged in some users have "gnome-desktop-manager" error
> and cannot open desktop. Although I deleted all files in user folder and
> removed them from tmp folder, the system gives the same error. What can
> you suggest as solution?
>
> I need to solve the above mentioned problems before open the system to
> users.
>
> I sincerely thank everybody in advance for their time and help.

--
Jean-François CLEMENT
LaTIM Inserm U650