-   -   Librarian to add users from fat client... (http://www.linux-archive.org/edubuntu-user/700949-librarian-add-users-fat-client.html)

Jim Christiansen 09-05-2012 09:57 PM

Librarian to add users from fat client...

I can't figure out how to let our Librarian run adduser or passwd. *I've added her to the sudoers and she can log in and perform the tasks from the server.
She is not able to do the same from one of the fat-clients.

The server is in my computer classroom in a bank of servers and feeds the library clients. *Moving the server into the library is no the first choice.
What am I doing wrong?

Thanks, Jim

Stéphane Graber 09-05-2012 10:03 PM

On 12-09-05 05:57 PM, Jim Christiansen wrote:
> I can't figure out how to let our Librarian run adduser or passwd. I've
> added her to the sudoers and she can log in and perform the tasks from
> the server.
>
> She is not able to do the same from one of the fat-clients.
>
> The server is in my computer classroom in a bank of servers and feeds
> the library clients. Moving the server into the library is no the first
> choice.
>
> What am I doing wrong?
>
> Thanks, Jim

A fat client only runs with a limited copy of /etc/passwd, so even if
the user is an administrator on the server, they won't be able to
add/remove/change accounts.

One way around this would be to set REMOTE_APPS=true in lts.conf and add
a launcher for "ltsp-remoteapps gnome-control-center".

Clicking on that launcher will start "gnome-control-center" from the
server as it'd on a thin client which should let her manage accounts.

--
Stéphane Graber
Ubuntu developer

Joseph Bishay 09-08-2012 05:08 AM

Librarian to add users from fat client...

Hello,

The way I was able to do this was to install webmin, and then create a
webmin user who only had access to the users and groups section to add
and modify users.

By limiting webmin to only that user and the local network it limited
any security issues.

Hope that helps!
Joseph

Jim Christiansen 09-08-2012 02:21 PM

Librarian to add users from fat client...

Hello Stéphane and Joseph,
I had a chance on Friday to try the REMOTE_APPS=true in lts.conf. *I didn't have an lts.conf in the tftp directory inside of /var/... so I edited the conf in /opt/ltsp/... *I rebuilt our image but our Librarian, as a sudoer, still can't access Users and Groups from a fat-client. *The gnome app opens to a greyed out window, unclickable and frozen. *It needs to be xkilled.

I'll try the Webmin route next.
Thanks Joseph.