-   -   Edubuntu thin-client and VirtualBox Guest Additions (http://www.linux-archive.org/edubuntu-user/699204-edubuntu-thin-client-virtualbox-guest-additions.html)

"David Trask" 08-30-2012 04:30 PM

Edubuntu thin-client and VirtualBox Guest Additions

Hi!

Smoothest first day of school ever! *I have my whole school on Edubuntu (probably about 75 clients) and I have many applications (web browsers, the "tux" games, and a few others) all running as localapps...Epoptes is running very well...I have wake-on-lan working so I can shut down and turn on machines as needed....life is good. *Except for one thing...

I have a Macbook Pro that I use as my "teaching machine". *It is wired and hooked to my SmartBoard. *I have a session in VirtualBox that boots to the network via PXE and thus acts as a thin-client. *Since the thin-client is "also" on the Mac...my SmartBoard software running on the Mac will also control the thin-client in VirtualBox....again....life is good. *HOWEVER...since the thin-client is running in a VM I can only get 1024x768 resolution unless I do something like install VirtualBox Guest Additions. *My question is....is there anyway I can force the resolutiuon for the thin-client running in Virtualbox either via lts.conf...or is there a way to install the VirtualBox Guest additions so I can get a more acceptable resolution like 1440x900? *Any ideas welcome.

David Trask
Technology Director/Teacher
Vassalboro Community School
dtrask@vcsvikings.org
(207) 923-4305

Jonathan Carter 09-04-2012 06:57 PM

On 30/08/2012 12:30, David Trask wrote:
> Smoothest first day of school ever! I have my whole school on Edubuntu
> (probably about 75 clients) and I have many applications (web browsers,
> the "tux" games, and a few others) all running as localapps...Epoptes is
> running very well...I have wake-on-lan working so I can shut down and turn
> on machines as needed....life is good. Except for one thing...
>
> I have a Macbook Pro that I use as my "teaching machine". It is wired and
> hooked to my SmartBoard. I have a session in VirtualBox that boots to the
> network via PXE and thus acts as a thin-client. Since the thin-client is
> "also" on the Mac...my SmartBoard software running on the Mac will also
> control the thin-client in VirtualBox....again....life is good.
> HOWEVER...since the thin-client is running in a VM I can only get 1024x768
> resolution unless I do something like install VirtualBox Guest Additions.
> My question is....is there anyway I can force the resolutiuon for the
> thin-client running in Virtualbox either via lts.conf...or is there a way
> to install the VirtualBox Guest additions so I can get a more acceptable
> resolution like 1440x900? Any ideas welcome.

I think I've done this once before. You need to download the guest
additions iso from the Virtualbox site, install "build-essential" in
your ltsp chroot (check that you have /proc and /dev mounted) and then
run the installation script that's provided on the iso.

Thin client chroots should then be able to boot fine as vbox guests.

Tip: make a backup of your chroot before making changes and remember to
unmount proc, dev and the iso before doing ltsp-update-image

-Jonathan

Matt Johnson 09-06-2012 01:43 PM

Edubuntu thin-client and VirtualBox Guest Additions

>________________________________

Hi David,

I use a MacBook for exactly this purpose at our school - in fact I've set up all teacher MacBooks this way.

I was getting 800x600 on VirtualBox and I spent ages trying to sort it with Guest Addon tools.*

*I didn't need those tools in the end, all I had to do was...*

I set the following in my lts.conf:

[macbook]
X_MODE_0 = 1024x768
X_HORZSYNC = 30-95
X_VERTREFRESH = 55-65

[08:00:27:04:3C:1A]
LIKE=macbook

Obviously, the hardware address above is the virtual hardware address set by VirtualBox.

I haven't tried setting above that resolution, so I'd be interested to hear your results.

--*
Matt

"David Trask" 09-06-2012 03:12 PM

Edubuntu thin-client and VirtualBox Guest Additions

Thank you! *This was exactly what I needed! *:-) *Works great!