Old 08-25-2012, 06:30 PM
John Hupp

Default Incomplete shutdown on some LTSP clients (shutdown hangs/freezes)

On my Lubuntu and Edubuntu 12.04 LTSP test networks,
I find that some clients do not shut down completely.

On the Lubuntu network, one eMachine client stops at a
black-and-white text screen that says:

*** Ubuntu 12.04

*** .... * Asking all remaining processes to terminate ...

*** [255.161402] SysRq : Power off

*** [255.173722] Power down.

*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
*** * [OK]

*** [255.280060[ SysRq : Power Off

*** [255.280220] Power down.

*** * All processes ended within 1 seconds ....*** [OK]

A simple press of the power button does not turn off the machine
at that point.* I have to press and hold it 5 seconds or so.

Also on the Lubuntu network, an HP stops at the same screen, but
a simple press of the power button turns it off.

A Dell on the Lubuntu networks shuts off cleanly and completely
within a few seconds.

---------------------

On the Edubuntu network, all clients have to invoke Shutdown
from the desktop and from the login screen.* After choosing
Shutdown from the desktop (and then presenting a dialog for
Shutdown or Restart), it drops back to the login screen, and
there one chooses Preferences: Shutdown.* [Very tedious, but
that's not my real interest in this post.* And as a footnote,
the server shuts down cleanly after the two clicks on the
desktop.

But regarding specific client machine behavior on the Edubuntu
network, the above eMachine hangs at a black screen after
Preferences: Shutdown from the login screen.* I forgot to make a
note of whether a simple press of the power button shuts it off
from here, or whether a press-and-hold was required as it was on
the Lubuntu net.

The above HP hangs at a white screen after Preferences: Shutdown
from the login screen.* A simple press of the power button shuts
it off from here.

The above Dell shuts down cleanly after Preferences: Shutdown
from the login screen.

---------------------

One other behavior that was of interest to me but that I did not
thoroughly document was that even on machines where Shutdown
hangs, it seems generally to be the case that Restart does not
hang.* The machine proceeds smoothly to POST and reboot.

---------------------

So I am wondering if I can get all the clients to shut down
cleanly via the interface Shutdown commands.

If not, is there a script that will produce a clean shutdown?

Or failing that, can I insert a splash screen at the end of the
shutdown process something like Windows 95/98 used on machines
where it could not execute a complete shutdown automatically?*
(The screen said something like "It is now safe to turn off your
computer.")

Speaking of Windows 95/98's shutdown process, I recall that the
issue had to do with power management drivers not fully
supporting the hardware on some motherboards, or not finding the
hardware that power management did fully support.* But beyond
that, it was possible to not-install/uninstall/disable power
management on machines that did support full shutdown, then
install/reinstall/re-enable power management but not recover the
ability to do a full shutdown.* So it wasn't always just a
question of supported hardware.

Also regarding Win 9x, that splash screen may have been an
integrated part of all shutdowns.* I recall seeing it flash
on-screen for a split second even on machines that were on their
way to a full automatic shutdown.

Old 09-02-2012, 07:54 PM
John Hupp

Some updates on this problem:

The problem is not confined to LTSP clients.* I booted an
Lubuntu Live CD on one of the affected clients and found that it
hung during shutdown also.

----------------------------

The problem is also not Gnome-specific, as someone suggested.

I downloaded Kubuntu 12.04 (uses KDE rather than Gnome) and made
a Live DVD.

On one of the clients with the shutdown problem, I booted the
Live DVD.* I didn't have a working pointer (500 MHz Celeron and
256 MB, so maybe not enough resources), but the "sudo poweroff"
command from a console window resulted in shutdown hanging after
"System halted" was reported onscreen, and I had to force the
machine off.

----------------------------

I also played with the BIOS Power Control settings to no effect
on one of the affected machines.* For "ACPI Aware O/S: Yes/No"
and "Power Management/APM: Enabled/Disabled" I tried all four
permutations of BIOS settings and all resulted in the same hung
shutdown.

There were also other settings: "Power Button Function: On/Off,"
"Suspend Time Out: Enabled/Disabled" and <various
devices>: "Monitor/Ignore," but I took those to be
irrelevant.

On my Lubuntu and Edubuntu 12.04 LTSP test
networks, I find that some clients do not shut down completely.

On the Lubuntu network, one eMachine client stops at a
black-and-white text screen that says:

*** Ubuntu 12.04

*** .... * Asking all remaining processes to terminate ...

*** [255.161402] SysRq : Power off

*** [255.173722] Power down.

*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***

Old 09-05-2012, 10:05 PM
John Hupp

On the Lubuntu mail list, a
poster on the equivalent thread (see https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/lubuntu-users/2012-September/002356.html)
reported that he solved the problem (presumably on a standalone
desktop or on an LTSP server itself) by adding acpi=force to the
boot parameters.

VERY intriguing.

Anyone know how to set an equivalent parameter for LTSP
clients?

[Marco Muller posted to the LTSP mail list a solution that
did not work for him.* See http://www.mail-archive.com/ltsp-discuss@lists.sourceforge.net/msg40651.html,
but he reports that he edited

*** *** /var/lib/tftpboot/ltsp/amd64/pxelinux.cfg/default

to add

*** *** append ro initrd=initrd.img root=/dev/nbd0
init=/sbin/init-ltsp quiet splash acpi=force
plymouth:force-splash vt.handoff=7 nbdroot=:ltsp_amd64

and nobody posted a reply.]

And in connection with that configuration question (OK, I'm
really showing my newbie stripes here), how do I verify
whether ACPI is running?

Old 09-07-2012, 03:21 PM
John Hupp

Good news!

Richard Doyle from the LTSP mail list posted that I can add
acpi=force to the end of the append command in
/var/lib/tftpboot/ltsp/<arch>/pxelinux.cfg/default.

I did this on my Edubuntu and Lubuntu LTSP servers, and all
clients tested then shut down fully.

The only remaining problem, which seems to this newbie like a
bug rather than a feature, is what Richard Doyle points out (I
have not it confirmed here, but his other info was
dead-on-center): running ltsp-update-image will restore the
original
/var/lib/tftpboot/ltsp/<arch>/pxelinux.cfg/default, so
this and any other edits are wiped out.

And I still have a related secondary question: Since acpi=force
indicates that ACPI has to run on the client and not just on the
server, how can I verify that ACPI is indeed running on the
client?* Someone suggested looking at the output of dmesg on the
client for results that contain "ACPI," but it seems to me that
this will just report the boot messages from the server, not the
client.

A big thank-you to all who contributed to solving the original
primary problem.* Special thanks to Richard Doyle from the LTSP
mail list and Steve Yorvyk from the Lubuntu list.