Old 08-22-2012, 07:02 PM
John Hupp

Default Unreliable LTSP DHCP server: No DHCP offers received on client

I have a couple small LTSP networks set up for
testing.* On the network with Edubuntu 12.04, the LTSP client boot
regularly fails at step one of the PXE boot with the message:
"DHCP ..... No DHCP or proxyDHCP offers were received."

Restarting the isc-dhcp-server service always works, but
something about the boot process regularly causes it to fail
to start.* The restart command output:

*** stop: Unknown instance:

*** isc-dhcp-server start/running, process (pid goes here)

Dmesg includes these lines:

*** init: isc-dhcp-server main process ended, respawning

*** init:
isc-dhcp-server main process (pid goes here) terminated

*** init: isc-dhcp-server respawning too fast, stopped

Is anyone familiar with this problem?

Old 08-22-2012, 07:21 PM
Stéphane Graber

On 08/22/2012 03:02 PM, John Hupp wrote:
> I have a couple small LTSP networks set up for testing. On the network
> with Edubuntu 12.04, the LTSP client boot regularly fails at step one of
> the PXE boot with the message: "DHCP ..... No DHCP or proxyDHCP offers
> were received."
>
> Restarting the isc-dhcp-server service always works, but something about
> the boot process regularly causes it to fail to start. The restart
> command output:
> stop: Unknown instance:
> isc-dhcp-server start/running, process (pid goes here)
>
> Dmesg includes these lines:
> init: isc-dhcp-server main process ended, respawning
> init: isc-dhcp-server main process (pid goes here) terminated
> init: isc-dhcp-server respawning too fast, stopped
>
> Is anyone familiar with this problem?

Look in /var/log/upstart/isc-dhcp-server.log for details.

--
Stéphane Graber
Ubuntu developer

Old 08-22-2012, 08:57 PM
Stéphane Graber

On 08/22/2012 04:38 PM, John Hupp wrote:
> Thanks.
>
> /var/log/upstart/isc-dhcp-server.log does not exist, but
> isc-dhcp-server6.log does (perhaps related to the fact that this is an
> LTSP DHCP server and not a regular DHCP server?).
>
> Its contents:
>
> /etc/dhcp/dhcpd6.conf does not exist! - Aborting...
> Please create and configure /etc/dhcp/dhcpd6.conf to fix the problem.
> isc-dhcp-server6 stop/pre-start, process 1094
>
> But very interestingly, on another server for which the LTSP clients
> boot reliably, isc-dhcp-server6.log has the same contents!

That's the expected content for isc-dhcp-server6.log for a network
without IPv6.

Try running (one line):
sudo /usr/sbin/dhcpd -f -q -4 -pf /run/dhcp-server/dhcpd.pid -cf
/etc/ltsp/dhcpd.conf

From a shell, that should tell you what's failing.

Old 08-22-2012, 11:09 PM
Stéphane Graber

On 08/22/2012 06:42 PM, John Hupp wrote:
> I got no output from that command string, and I found that on this
> system /run/dhcp-server/dhcpd.pid does not exist - that is an empty folder.

Ah, right, try: (still on one line)
sudo /usr/sbin/dhcpd -f -4 -pf /run/dhcp-server/dhcpd.pid -cf
/etc/ltsp/dhcpd.conf

My guess is that the -q was making any error/informational message go away.

Old 08-23-2012, 01:55 AM
Stéphane Graber

On 08/22/2012 08:15 PM, John Hupp wrote:
> A good guess about -q. OK, that yields:
>
> Wrote 6 leases to leases file.
>
> No subnet declaration for lxcbr0 (10.0.3.1).
> ** Ignoring requests on lxcbr0. If this is not what you want, please
> write a subnet declaration in your dhcpd.conf file for the network
> segment to which lxcbr0 is attached.**
>
> No subnet declaration for eth1 (10.0.0.8).
> ** Ignoring requests on eth1. If this is not what you want, please
> write a subnet declaration in your dhcpd.conf file for the network
> segment to which lxcbr0 is attached.**
>
> Not configured to listen on any interfaces!

Well that last line tells you what the problem is, none of your
interfaces match the configuration in the DHCP server.

You must have an interface in at least one subnet defined in dhcpd.conf
for it to start.

Old 08-23-2012, 05:00 PM
John Hupp

[Posting this for
the group for the revised focus of the question......]

OK, interesting.

But indulge me in some further probing.* /usr/sbin/dhcpd is an
alternative to the isc-dhcp-server set up under LTSP?* I ask
that because when I run the long /usr/sbin/dhcpd command on a
different LTSP test server that boots clients reliably
(Lubuntu), it notes that another DHCP server is already
running.

Another point of interest: On the problematic Ubuntu LTSP
server, if I first "sudo service isc-dhcp-server start" to
successfully start the service (much as I noted in the
original post), then the output for the long /usr/sbin/dhcpd command includes:

*** Listening on LPF/eth0/00:50:04:e2:4e:48/192.168.0.0/24

*** Sending on
LPF/eth0/00:50:04:e2:4e:48/192.168.0.0/24

*** Sending on Socket/fallback/fallback-net

And the LTSP client will boot.

I wondered why
isc-dhcp-server fails to start during bootup, but I could manually start it
post-boot, at which point the LTSP client will successfully
boot.* And why could I start isc-dhcp-server manually if there
were a missing configuration.

Here's what I did next: Start the client first, then start the
server.* IT WORKS!!

Actually, unless the timing of the startups is right, the
client fails to PXE boot on its first attempt.* But then
restart the client and it works!!

Here is what I think is going on: In these little 2-machine
networks, I'm connecting one server and one client via
crossover cable rather than with a switch.* (I didn't tell you
that, did I?)* But isc-dhcp-server apparently won't start on
the Ubuntu server unless networking has detected that the LTSP
interface is connected to a network.

There is still the live question of why my Ubuntu LTSP server
requires this and the Lubuntu server does not.* Actually, I
have two Lubuntu servers, and they both will work without
starting the client first, at least on the combinations of
servers and clients I have tested.

So even if my understanding is correct and provides a clumsy
work-around, someone can still shed some very helpful light on
the finer mechanisms, and whether I can configure the Ubuntu
server so that isc-dhcp-server is ready to go even if I have
not started the client first.

Thanks, Stéphane, for working the problem with me to date, and
providing useful impetus.

On 8/22/2012 9:55 PM, Stéphane Graber