-   -   LTSP terminal boot message - "saned disabled" (http://www.linux-archive.org/edubuntu-user/696461-ltsp-terminal-boot-message-saned-disabled.html)

John Hupp 08-21-2012 08:46 PM

LTSP terminal boot message - "saned disabled"

I posted previously about
this LTSP terminal boot message in conjunction with
incomplete shutdowns on LTSP terminals.* But now I see that
the two issues are separate.

So a fresh post.

With Lubuntu 12.04 and LTSP installed (the same thing
applies to Edubuntu 12.04), I see a boot message on some
terminals connected to some servers, appearing between the
boot splash screen and the login screen.* The message that
appears on a text screen:

*** saned disabled; edit /etc/default/saned

Research shows that saned is the network scanner service
(daemon) for SANE, which is the Linux scanner driver
provision.* It is installed by the sane-utils package.

I found that on both the LTSP servers I was testing with,
sane-utils was installed.* (In a terminal window, run "dpkg
-s sane-utils" to find out the installation status of the
package.)* Yet the "saned disabled" message appeared on some
terminals and not on others.

It turns out that sane can be installed but not run at
startup.* Whether it is run at startup is controlled by the
configuration file /etc/default/saned for the server itself and /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/default/saned
for the terminals.

The initial contents of saned showing the RUN variable being
set to no by default:

*** # Defaults for the saned initscript, from sane-utils

*** # Set to yes to start saned

*** RUN=no

*** # Set to the user saned should run as

*** RUN_AS_USER=saned

So on all the servers and terminals here, saned is set not
to run by default.* It seems that the reason the message
appears on some machines and not on others has to do with
the responsiveness of the machine and questions of timing
with the display of windows.* The message is always
generated, just not always seen.

I found the message somewhat disturbing, hence my digging
around to find out what was going on.

The message itself is generated by init shell scripts:
/etc/init.d/saned for the server itself, and /opt/ltsp/i386//etc/init.d/saned for the
terminals.

If you don't want to see the message appearing on your
terminals, edit /opt/ltsp/i386//etc/init.d/saned and comment out the "echo"
command that generates the message.* Make the relevant lines
look like this:

if [ "x$RUN" != "xyes" ] ; then

*** # echo "$NAME disabled; edit /etc/default/saned"

*** exit 0

fi

Then update
the LTSP image with: