Old 04-14-2008, 05:08 PM
Carl Olof Englund

Default Fat client with NFS / setup problems

I have a working thin client setup using Edubuntu, now trying to set up a fat
client system. I will be using LDAP to authenticate but right now the problem
is just getting the NFS mounts and client image right.

I'd like to thank Michael Richmann for sharing his work on setting up fat
clients! I've experimented using the 030-workstation script you provided, but
haven't yet arrived at a workning fat client-solution.

Using Richmanns ltsp-plugin/script it is possible to automatically install a
full desktop in the client image. You would go on stuffing the image further
through a chroot. Is this really a good idea? The image would use up a fair
amount of memory on the clients and would be loaded each time, putting a
(wasteful?) load on the server.

I'd rather like the / of the fat client to be NFS-mounted, the programs
running over NFS. As it is now, the whole mounting of unionfs seems
unneccessary, indeed it makes it difficult to get the NFS-mounts working
while wasting useful memory on the image.

I tried booting my test-fat-client without initrd.img and nfsroot in the
kernel options but it fails.. probably initrd contains drivers needed to get
the system working..?

Can anyone give me a push in the right direction with this?

/ Carl

--
"So slay me now! I have little magic left."
- Kallak, leader of the royal mystics