-   -   Need suggestion for a simple server solution (http://www.linux-archive.org/edubuntu-user/695011-need-suggestion-simple-server-solution.html)

Jack ODonnell 08-17-2012 02:17 PM

Need suggestion for a simple server solution

Hi all

World Computer Exchange(http://www.worldcomputerexchange.org) exports
computers to partners in developing countries who place them in schools.

We set all our computers as stand-alones running Ubuntu 12.04 with the
LXDE desktop, Edubuntu-desktop package, other software and an archive of
files for the classroom.

The final item is currently about 12 gigs of open source educational
PDFs, videos and interactive content for grades K-12. The archive is
indexed thru a set of simple HTML pages. We do this because many of the
classrooms who receive our computers have very poor internet
connections(ex:20 PCs on one 56K modem line)

We have stayed away from Edubuntu LTSP because many of the schools lack
tech support

Here is the question:
Our Content Archive has the potential to be 30gigs which is way too much
to install on stand-alone computers. We would like to send a server for
each classroom with the archive on it. We need server solution that is
simple and foolproof. Any suggestions?

Thanks
--
Jack ODonnell
Chicago Coordinator

http://www.WorldComputerExchange.org Technology + Education = Potential
http://www.WorldComputerExchange.org/Chicago-il Chicago Chapter

Jonathan Proulx 08-17-2012 02:28 PM

Need suggestion for a simple server solution

Hi Jack,

Do you currently send networks with the systems at all?

It seems that's the biggest jump. If you have a networking solution
say providing a router having a preconfigured webserver on that seems
a relatively easy step, especially if you preconfigure the workstation
desktops with a link to that local URL.

I've done a bit of work with schools in Kenya and Fiji (which had no
internet and in some cases no power at the school) and have put a bit
of though into low/no bandwith remote locations. Feel free to contact
me off list if you'd like (though I'm happy to share in public too if
it fits the list topic)

-Jon

:computers to partners in developing countries who place them in schools.
:
[...]
:--
:Jack ODonnell
:Chicago Coordinator