Old 04-13-2008, 09:14 PM

Default Plan B Edubuntu Terminal Server Install Problem

hi all,

thanks for the advise to install the i386 version of edubuntu on the amd64 terminal server - i didn't realize that could be done (i'm no linux guru). i installed it fine. when i tried to connect a client via the romomatic cd, i got the following text to cycle through the screen:

Probing isa nic...
<sleep>
Boot from (N)etwork or (Q)uit?

Probing pci nic...
[eepro100] Ethernet addr 00:A0:09:9F:BF:62
Valid link not established.

i think this could either be a romomatic problem (perhaps i didn't create the boot disk correctly), a software configuration problem or a nic compatibility problem.

i have the computer cabled to a switch and the switch cabled to the terminal server's nic. what can i do to make sure that the terminal server is ready to receive client requests via the switch?

can anyone provide any insight? at least i know it isn't an amd64 / intel problem.

also, does anyone know how to bypass a bios password? one of the clients was donated and nobody knows the bios password so i can't configure it to boot from CD. i suppose I could unplug the HD, but i'm trying to avoid doing that if there is an easier solution.

thanks,

oe1

Old 04-13-2008, 09:46 PM
Gavin McCullagh

Hi,

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008, operationsengineer1@yahoo.com wrote:

> when i tried to connect a client via the romomatic cd, i got the
> following text to cycle through the screen:
>
> Probing pci nic...
> [eepro100] Ethernet addr 00:A0:09:9F:BF:62
> Valid link not established.

That suggests that it has found an eepro100 network card (with the mac
address displayed) but that the network card doesn't have a link. The most
likely cause of that, I'd guess, is that you have a cabling problem. Do
you get a link light on the switch when you plug the client in?

> i think this could either be a romomatic problem (perhaps i didn't create
> the boot disk correctly), a software configuration problem or a nic
> compatibility problem.

The "valid link not established" seems to tell you the problem. How many
network cards are in the PC?

> also, does anyone know how to bypass a bios password? one of the clients
> was donated and nobody knows the bios password so i can't configure it to
> boot from CD. i suppose I could unplug the HD, but i'm trying to avoid
> doing that if there is an easier solution.

One way is usually to unplug and take out the BIOS battery for a few
minutes. There's usually a way to reset it, but it will be specific to the
motherboard. You can search online and probably find instructions.

Gavin

Old 04-13-2008, 11:05 PM
dbclinton

> i think this could either be a romomatic problem (perhaps i didn't create the boot disk correctly), a software configuration problem or a nic compatibility problem.

If you have another NIC available, perhaps you could try troubleshooting
with that. I had one older client (PII 500) that I simply gave up on
when it refused to boot to the network (returning an similar error
message to yours) despite trying at least three different NICs. I
suspect that the BIOS was somehow the culprit.
You might also want to reset your switch just in case that's an issue (it was once for me).
I assume that you've successfully booted other clients to this server...
Good luck

Old 04-15-2008, 07:56 PM

Thanks db and Gavin,

i have other old computers that also don't connect. i think i need to

1. make sure the switch is working correctly
2. make sure the dhcp on the server is working correctly.

can anyone help with troubleshooting ideas? i do have a winxp laptop that i could use. i could even boot off of a dsl linux cd, if that will help.

i will try resetting the switch if it turns out i can't get my laptop to connect.

i do believe that i'm getting a link light, although i will double check.

there is only one nic card on the server and on on the client.

thanks for the info on the bios issue. i will give it a shot - and that will give me another test computer, too.

oe1

Old 04-16-2008, 05:51 AM
dbclinton

Coincidentally, my first successful thin client connection was with a
laptop (a Compaq PIII 1.0 ghz whose BIOS controlled the boot-to-NIC
perfectly). Check out the BIOS of some of your clients to see if their
boot options include booting to an NIC.
Resetting the switch simply involves pulling its adapter plug for a few
seconds and letting it start up again. Either it will make a difference
immediately or it won't. Not a lot of guessing on that one.
Check outputs from /var/log/syslog during client boots to see if your
clients are getting IP addresses. This is the beginning of a successful
thin client boot on my system:

Apr 15 13:13:58 rishon dhcpd: DHCPDISCOVER from 00:50:da:d0:c6:af via
eth1
Apr 15 13:13:59 rishon dhcpd: DHCPOFFER on 192.168.0.244 to
00:50:da:d0:c6:af via eth1
Apr 15 13:14:01 rishon dhcpd: DHCPREQUEST for 192.168.0.244
(192.168.0.254) from 00:50:da:d0:c6:af via eth1
Apr 15 13:14:01 rishon dhcpd: DHCPACK on 192.168.0.244 to
00:50:da:d0:c6:af via eth1
Apr 15 13:14:09 rishon dhcpd: DHCPDISCOVER from 00:50:da:d0:c6:af via
eth1

"00:50:da:d0:c6:af" is my client's MAC address - the first sing that the
computers are at least talking to each other.
Good luck,
David

Old 04-18-2008, 01:33 AM

dbclinton and all,

i have good news and bad news.

first, the good news. the one computer that wouldn't connect was a cable issue - the protective cover for the locking pin hit the case before the connector was set in place. after it was set in place, i was able to get into the edubuntu log in screen. also, the switch looks to be working fine.

the rest of the news is bad... or should i say leaves room for opportunity.

i tried to connect three computers. first, i connected my laptop (toshiba laptop circa 2005) which got me to the boot screen. i logged in with the admin password. the desktop displayed shortly thereafter, however, there was high pitched hum coming from the speakers (a ray gun sound came to mind) and none of the icons did anything. the mouse did move, though. i hate to hold the power button to shut down the laptop.

next i tried to boot the computer with the connector problem. again, i was taken to the login screen and entered the admin's login. i was left with a blank screen and a visible mouse pointer. i could move the mouse pointer around with the mouse. i had to manually turn off the computer.

the third computer never made it to the login screen. i was left with the monitor flickering in the following repeated sequence - bottom 1/3 of the menu turned greenish, cursor displayed as "x", cursor changed to circle with internal spinner, a quick flash of the ubuntu color with a possible black box flicker that looked to be in the location of the login box and a blank screen.

also, i didn't realize the clients would be prompted for a password. how do i set the username and password for the specific clients?

any help resolving these issues would be greatly appreciated.

tia...

Old 04-18-2008, 04:31 AM
Sameer Verma

dbclinton wrote:
> On Thu, 2008-04-17 at 18:33 -0700, operationsengineer1@yahoo.com wrote:
>

>> i tried to connect three computers. first, i connected my laptop
>> (toshiba laptop circa 2005) which got me to the boot screen. i logged
>> in with the admin password. the desktop displayed shortly thereafter,
>> however, there was high pitched hum coming from the speakers (a ray
>> gun sound came to mind) and none of the icons did anything. the mouse
>> did move, though. i hate to hold the power button to shut down the
>> laptop.
>>

> I have to admit that this is a bit above my pay scale, but you might
> want to ensure that you've got enough server resources and that they can
> get through the network: How much RAM is on the server? Is it actually
> being read during boot? Are your cables, switch and NICs all at least
> 10/100 mb/s?
> Again, you might also want to look at syslog during and after the
> clients boot to see if there's anything strange there.

Install something like iptraf on the server and see what it spits out in
terms of network traffic...

Sameer

Old 04-18-2008, 04:59 AM
dbclinton

Old 04-18-2008, 05:21 AM

db, thanks for the reply. the server is a dual core 1.8 ghz opteron with 2 gigs of memory, so i don't think lack of resources is a problem with one client connected. the switch is more than capable - i think it has one gigabit connections and the rest are 100 mb connections. i also think the cables are fine, too. they are cheap, so i will try known good cable and see if that makes a difference.

i'm not sure about the client nics, though. how can i get the specs on the clients?

i will look at the syslog, assuming i can find it. i should be ok using google, though.

Sameer, i will look into iptraf and see what i can get out of it.

i probably won't be able to do much interpreting of what i see, but i will be able post it so others can analyze it.

could the problem be related to trying to log on with the same username and password as the server? i will create client logons and try to logon with them.

i'm also reading through the edubuntu manual for hardy, so i might pick up some relevant information there.

thanks,

oe1

Old 04-18-2008, 12:24 PM
"Charles Austin"

On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 1:21 AM, <operationsengineer1@yahoo.com> wrote:

> i will look at the syslog, assuming i can find it. i should be ok using google, though.

sudo less /var/log/messages

or
ls /var/log

to see the other log files your server is storing. There is a wealth
of information there - it is always the first place I go looking when
something does not work. Most of the messages are in plain language,
but you can google for error messages that are cryptic. You do have
to sudo to read them.

> i probably won't be able to do much interpreting of what i see, but i will be able post it so others can analyze it.

Good idea.

> could the problem be related to trying to log on with the same username and password as the server? i will create client logons and try to logon with them.

It never hurts to have a test account set up. With the thin clients,
you are setting up a session on the server. It really should not be
an issue in Linux, but for sanity's sake it is easier to troubleshoot
if you have a test account set up.

Good luck,
Charles