-   -   Recommendations for filtering? (http://www.linux-archive.org/edubuntu-user/67604-recommendations-filtering.html)

"Charles Austin" 04-10-2008 03:20 PM

Recommendations for filtering?

I just received a call from the school principal because a student
ended up on a graphic porn site after a poorly formed google search.
I need to provide some sort of internet filtering as soon as possible,
or the children will be barred from the computer room permanently.

I have seen several recommendations in the past. I am looking for
something easily implemented, and low maintenance. I am not concerned
about "false positives", so the solution does not have to be finely
tuned.

Thanks in advance,
Charles

Craig Szymanski 04-10-2008 04:06 PM

On Thu, 2008-04-10 at 11:20 -0400, Charles Austin wrote:
> I just received a call from the school principal because a student
> ended up on a graphic porn site after a poorly formed goog
> le search.
> I need to provide some sort of internet filtering as soon as possible,
> or the children will be barred from the computer room permanently.
>
> I have seen several recommendations in the past. I am looking for
> something easily implemented, and low maintenance. I am not concerned
> about "false positives", so the solution does not have to be finely
> tuned.

An easy to implement solution would be opendns.com. All you would have
to do it register your ip address, block the categories you and point
the edubuntu servers primary dns at the open dns servers.
Craig

04-10-2008 04:24 PM

Recommendations for filtering?

If you don't mind setting up a dedicated box or virtual machine with two NICS, I'd recommend ipcop.org with URLFilter. Both free and easy to setup with daily updates.

It can run on very low end hardware if you don't want to buy a new server to run it.

Luis

"Ken Campbell" 04-10-2008 05:42 PM

Recommendations for filtering?

I use DansGuardian (content filtering)and squid(proxy server, squid can be
difficult to configure so Tiny Proxy is an easier alternative). DansGuardian
is very robust as it can be configured in many different ways. As always,
these are FOSS. Both items can reside on Edubuntu server.

Kenneth

Kenneth Campbell
IT Administrator
SAU1 Conval School District
Peterborough, NH 03458

"Charles Austin" 04-10-2008 06:36 PM

Recommendations for filtering?

Thanks for all the quick responses. I got OpenDNS set up and working.

Just a mild curiosity. I changed the DNS settings for the server, and
in the DHCP conf file (/etc/ltsp/dhcpd.conf), but users could still go
to playboy. Digs on the server for playboy returned the OpenDNS IPs.
I also restarted networking, same result.

Once I rebooted the box, all worked as expected. Is this a product of
other users having open Firefox sessions, or did I forget to do
something that rebooting fixed?

Charles

Stephen McCullagh 04-10-2008 09:01 PM

Recommendations for filtering?

Hi Charles,

Did you restart dhcp after editing /etc/ltsp/dhcpd.conf ?

sudo /etc/init.d/dhcp3-server restart

Steve.

"Charles Austin" 04-10-2008 09:48 PM

Recommendations for filtering?

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 5:01 PM, Stephen McCullagh
<stevemccullagh@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Charles,
>
> Did you restart dhcp after editing /etc/ltsp/dhcpd.conf ?
>
> sudo /etc/init.d/dhcp3-server restart

Yep, tried that before the reboot.

"David Van Assche" 04-11-2008 10:02 AM

Recommendations for filtering?

I would definitely recommend using dansguardian and squid along with some simple iptables directioning by groups, if everything is running on the same machine. This way you should just be able to send teachers directly to squid and students to dansguardian...

"Harry Sweet" 04-11-2008 02:45 PM

Recommendations for filtering?

Once you change your DNS to theirs you need to make an account give them your server IP and tell OpenDNS to block porn or whatever else you want through the web form on their site.