Old 06-17-2012, 06:10 PM
Xashiish

Default A small LTSP network setup

On 15/06/2012 14:15, David Groos wrote:

Just make
them fat clients via LTSP. That way, you keep the central
admin ease of LTSP for all those machines but fully utilise
the workstation hardware as the OS downloads to the
workstation each boot (quickly!). It's a very elegant solution
to exactly your situation.

--

Matt

I second that, exactly.

David G

Hi Matt & David,

Now that i have received the donated hardware and confirmed their
specs, this solution would be the best option to me as well. I went
to the school on Friday and picked up the donated hardware.

In total i received 10 computers(5 each of the below) & 1
networked laser printer:

5x desktops with Celeron 2.4 Ghz, 2GB and 40 GB HD

5 towers with Intel Pentium D 2.53 Ghz, 2 GB RAM & 60 GB HD.

Plus 1 Xerox Phaser 840 laser printer with a few spare toners.
Untested, but said to be working before being placed in a storage. I
am not familiar with these and don't know how well they are
supported in linux if at all they are. I only saw Solaris drivers on
Xerox's website.

I have only had time to take out a couple of the computers, clean
them out and test. Both worked well and hopefully the remainder will
be just as fine. I will have some time next weekend and inspect them
all.

Cheers

Faisal