Old 04-09-2008, 09:44 PM
"Rod G"

Default Clear the desktop settings on a stand alone Edubuntu Client

Hi everyone,

I am somewhat familiar with Pessulus, but I am not sure it would do what I need it to do.* I want to set up one pc with Edubuntu on it at a public library in the childrens area.* But I want it to clear any changes to the desktop and bring it back up for the next patron to use...once it has been rebooted and/or cleared.* Is there a way to do this without going to the Thin Client options within Edubuntu?

Thanks for any help you can give me on this.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:50 AM
"Charles Austin"

On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 5:44 PM, Rod G <rodcis87@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am somewhat familiar with Pessulus, but I am not sure it would do what I
> need it to do. I want to set up one pc with Edubuntu on it at a public
> library in the childrens area. But I want it to clear any changes to the
> desktop and bring it back up for the next patron to use...once it has been
> rebooted and/or cleared. Is there a way to do this without going to the
> Thin Client options within Edubuntu?

I have not tried this, but it should be possible on a standalone
machine. If you add a line to the /etc/rc.local file, you can remove
all the contents of the home directory (and any saved desktop
changes).

Just add
rm -rf /home/whateverUser
(where whateverUser is the username of your default login).

Any time the machine is rebooted, the home directory will be deleted,
and then SHOULD be re-created based on the contents of your /etc/skel
file.

Charles

Old 04-10-2008, 01:08 PM
"Charles Austin"

On Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 7:50 AM, Charles Austin <ceaustin@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 5:44 PM, Rod G <rodcis87@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I am somewhat familiar with Pessulus, but I am not sure it would do what I
> > need it to do. I want to set up one pc with Edubuntu on it at a public
> > library in the childrens area. But I want it to clear any changes to the
> > desktop and bring it back up for the next patron to use...once it has been
> > rebooted and/or cleared. Is there a way to do this without going to the
> > Thin Client options within Edubuntu?
> >
> I have not tried this, but it should be possible on a standalone
> machine. If you add a line to the /etc/rc.local file, you can remove
> all the contents of the home directory (and any saved desktop
> changes).
>
> Just add
> rm -rf /home/whateverUser
> (where whateverUser is the username of your default login).
>
> Any time the machine is rebooted, the home directory will be deleted,
> and then SHOULD be re-created based on the contents of your /etc/skel
> file.
Correction to that line in /etc/rc.local
rm -rf /home/whaeverUser/*

Thanks,
Charles