Old 05-21-2012, 05:45 PM
Giacomo Trovato

Default Creating a school computer lab with edbuntu and ltsp

Hi All,

I have not configured locall applications since my thin clients are
very poor: Geode 500 Mhz, 256 Mb RAM without disk.
They are Alix3d3 (http://pcengines.ch/alix3d3.htm).

Old 05-22-2012, 05:14 PM
Jeremy Schubert

Thank you all for your advice.

I'm thinking in terms of running this as a computer lab for the whole school, not just per classroom. So I might have five to ten groups running though the lab all in one day.

I was thinking of 30 clients, 15 pointing to one lstp server and 15 pointing to another (to improve performance). And I'd like to redirect the users home drives to another file server on the system to make it easier to swap out ltsp servers if necessary. I'd also like to be able to control user profiles so that when they're client boots up they only have the option of logging in with Gnome 3 (for example) and any changes they make to the desktops and profiles (other than saving data to their home directories which would be redirected on another file server) would be reset on logging out. And although they wouldn't be allowed to make permanent changes, I'd like the ability to make changes on they fly. And I'd like the ability to effect changes at a granular level, May the grade 5 class could could have access to these programs and icons while the grade 7 class has access to a different subset. and I'd like to be able to carry out all of administration/tasks centrally.

Reviewing what I said, I guess that I asking for a linux/edbuntu solution comparable to a Windows Server 2003 domain set up using Active Directory and Group Policies. So maybe I'm in the wrong listserve here? Can anyone please suggest and alternative resources?

Thanks, Jeremy Schubert