Old 04-09-2008, 12:25 PM
Oliver Grawert

Default call for spec suggestions

hi,

as we're nearing the release its about time to collect some input on
educational specs to work on in intrepid ibex (8.10)

as you might have noticed edubuntu changed a lot in hardy ...

i.e. things that are definately server related (network auth for example
or most parts of ltsp ....) will in the future be handled by the server
or platform teams, all plain educational duties will still be handled in
the edubuntu team though.

so i'm looking for valuable input on specs to work on for intrepid that
are plainly edu related, feel free to forward this mail to forums or
other public places so we get a good list

two specs that i have on my radar already are for example:

* improvement and more automation of italc classroom management (get the
usability for key handling right, automatically detect classrooms)

* edubuntu menus: group or task driven menu setups (science students
should only have science apps in the menu etc ...) probably even
attached to a schedule that automatically reshuffles the menu depending
on the lesson you give/get

feel free to add more

ciao
oli

Old 04-09-2008, 01:50 PM
"Tom Hoffman"

On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 8:25 AM, Oliver Grawert <ogra@ubuntu.com> wrote:

> so i'm looking for valuable input on specs to work on for intrepid that
> are plainly edu related, feel free to forward this mail to forums or
> other public places so we get a good list

SchoolTool is aiming for a 1.0 beta release in Intrepid. We're also
aiming at having a complete set of snapshot .debs, and an automated
process for generating more, in sync with the Hardy release. So we
should be able to get in on the beginning of the process with Intrepid
instead of trying to squeeze in at the end.

We are coming out the long process of Debian's reorganizing its Python
packages, the Python community's re-organizing its own packaging, and
Zope 3 re-organizing itself, all of which has cause the ground to
continually shift under SchoolTool's feet.

Once Zope 3.4 final comes out, we can start to push packages into
Debian. We've ended up inheriting responsibility for doing Debian
packaging an unfortunately large part of the Zope 3 infrastructure and
components.

--Tom

Old 04-09-2008, 04:07 PM
dbclinton

On Wed, 2008-04-09 at 14:25 +0200, Oliver Grawert wrote:

> so i'm looking for valuable input on specs to work on for intrepid that
> are plainly edu related, feel free to forward this mail to forums or
> other public places so we get a good list

This might not be exclusive to educational needs, but it can certainly
be useful in the classroom: is it possible to enable microphones on thin
clients (as I've reported before on this list, mics and the sound output
from some non-native Linux apps don't behave well - often playing on the
server's speakers)?
Thanks,
David

Old 04-10-2008, 04:59 PM
"Harry Sweet"

Thanks for asking. here are a few things I would like to see. (Maybe they are already in Hardy.)

Some improvements to Thin Client Manager would be welcome. Especially an easy way
to view the student desktops.

Easier ways to lock Firefox/ web browser settings.

Maybe a make (a lot of) user accounts from a list script. I know there is stuff for that or you can write your own but it might be nice to have that available out of the box.

It's already excellent.

Old 04-10-2008, 07:40 PM
Gavin McCullagh

Hi,

On Wed, 09 Apr 2008, dbclinton wrote:

> This might not be exclusive to educational needs, but it can certainly
> be useful in the classroom: is it possible to enable microphones on thin
> clients (as I've reported before on this list, mics and the sound output
> from some non-native Linux apps don't behave well - often playing on the
> server's speakers)?

To go a little further and get the value from the work, I'd say:

SIP and Audio Recording (audacity) on thin clients.

Gavin

Old 04-11-2008, 10:42 AM
"David Van Assche"

Part of the UK curriculum is about sensors which includes things like picking up mics, etc... so that working on the the thin clients would definitely be important if possible.

Old 04-12-2008, 10:10 AM
nigel barker

David Van Assche wrote:
> Part of the UK curriculum is about sensors which includes things like
> picking up mics, etc... so that working on the the thin clients would
> definitely be important if possible.

Talking of the UK curriculum, how do you teach databases? I have been
struggling with OOo bugs, such as broken form wizard, and now drop down
lists. Overall the OOo Base experience is less than ideal, yet Kexi has
just as many problems. What do you use?

And to add to your suggestion, the Vernier web site has some linux
downloads that are difficult to get working, and that don't support USB.
It would be great if a datalogging application for the science lab
could be included. One of the few places we still have to use windows.
http://www.vernier.com/linux/index.html

cheers
nigel

Old 04-14-2008, 08:22 AM
Uwe Geercken

I would recommend to anyone, who wants to learn a database, to start
on the console. same as for learning html, jave, etc. you can always
switch to a GUI at a later point of time in the process but at the
start it is important to learn the bascis and not have a tool do the
work.

mysql is very good for that from my experience.

rgds,

uwe

Old 04-14-2008, 04:26 PM
"Robert Arkiletian"

On 4/14/08, Uwe Geercken <uwe.geercken@datamelt.com> wrote:

> I would recommend to anyone, who wants to learn a database, to start
> on the console. same as for learning html, jave, etc. you can always
> switch to a GUI at a later point of time in the process but at the
> start it is important to learn the bascis and not have a tool do the
> work.

I agree.

> mysql is very good for that from my experience.

sqlite is also perfect for this task. The database is just a file and
there is no setup. Permissions are simply set by file permissions.

--
Robert Arkiletian

Old 04-15-2008, 06:55 AM
nigel barker

I appreciate these answers, but this is far away from my needs. I am not
teaching CS to high school students. I teach mostly primary and middle
school classes, and we use the computer to do tasks which are useful in
the mainstream classes. According to UK and International Baccalaureate
curriculum documents young kids are supposed to be able to use
databases. Obviously this would be a GUI app, maybe even simpler than
Access. I don't know what windows schools use, but it would seem there
must be something, otherwise these curriculum writers wouldn't have got
these ideas.

A spreadsheet could probably be used instead for many examples, but
trying to use Calc to merge into Writer doesn't work either - you have
to open a dummy Base. The OOo database experience is not simple on any
level.

Anyway, my request is for a simple gui database app, if it exists!

nigel