FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Ubuntu > Edubuntu User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 04-09-2008, 06:40 AM
"Krsnendu dasa"
 
Default Hardy Display problems

I have installed Hardy from Beta with all updates applied. I think I have updated the ltsp tree once some time ago also.

I have a problem with display performance. Under K12ltsp6 (ltsp4.2) I had tux maths, flash videos etc running well (and that was on an old system (AMD 2500XP with 2 GB RAM). I upgrade to Feisty on a Quad Core Intel machine with 4 GB RAM. Again Flash and other graphics was fine. Now I have installed Hardy, screen redraws are slow even on ordinary web pages and Flash videos are especially jerky. (I have turned off hardware acceleration for flash.)





I have LDM_DIRECTX=True.

I have tested it with echo $DISPLAY and directx seems to be working.

I suspect that the wrong driver is being used for the graphics card. I am not sure which one.

If I do lspci on the client it says:




01:00.0 VGA compatible controller : ATI Technologies Inc 3D Rage Pro 1x/2X (rev 5c)

I tried the following settings for xserver one by one:
XSERVER=vesa
XSERVER=ati
XSERVER=radeon

I also tried X_COLOR_DEPTH=16




Each time all I got was a black screen with a white dash flashing in the top left corner.

Using lsmod the only thing which seemed relevant was:
intel_agp 25492 1
agpgart 34760 1 intel_agp

When the xserver does start, I see this error when I press ALT-CTL-F1:




OIL: ERROR liboiltest.c 361: oil_test_check_impl(): illegal instruction in mmxCombineAddU

Can anyone give me advice how to troubleshoot my poor graphics performance?



Should I try updating the ltsp image?
I think my current version is 2008212-ubuntu3. Perhaps version ubuntu4 will fix my problem. Can I just do:
sudo chroot /opt/ltsp/i386/
sudo apt-get upgrade
sudo ltsp-client-build

Or do I have to start from scratch (delete /i386 directory then run ltsp-build-client)?

Is there another graphics driver I need to load etc.?
Which log files can I look at? How can I export them to the server so I can look at them more easily and email them?


All help appreciated.

Thanks.
Krsnendu dasa





--
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
 
Old 04-09-2008, 05:30 PM
"Charles Austin"
 
Default Hardy Display problems

On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 2:40 AM, Krsnendu dasa <krsnendu108@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have installed Hardy from Beta with all updates applied. I think I have
> updated the ltsp tree once some time ago also.
>
> I have a problem with display performance. Under K12ltsp6 (ltsp4.2) I had
> tux maths, flash videos etc running well (and that was on an old system (AMD
> 2500XP with 2 GB RAM). I upgrade to Feisty on a Quad Core Intel machine with
> 4 GB RAM. Again Flash and other graphics was fine. Now I have installed
> Hardy, screen redraws are slow even on ordinary web pages and Flash videos
> are especially jerky. (I have turned off hardware acceleration for flash.)
Are you running 32 bit or 64 bit version of the OS? Flash is a real
challenge in Gutsy 64 bit, but this is a Firefox issue. I don't think
it has been resolved yet.

>
> I have LDM_DIRECTX=True.
>
> I have tested it with echo $DISPLAY and directx seems to be working.
>
> I suspect that the wrong driver is being used for the graphics card. I am
> not sure which one.
>
> If I do lspci on the client it says:
>
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller : ATI Technologies Inc 3D Rage Pro 1x/2X
> (rev 5c)
>
> I tried the following settings for xserver one by one:
> XSERVER=vesa
> XSERVER=ati
> XSERVER=radeon
>
> I also tried X_COLOR_DEPTH=16
>
> Each time all I got was a black screen with a white dash flashing in the top
> left corner.
>
> Using lsmod the only thing which seemed relevant was:
> intel_agp 25492 1
> agpgart 34760 1 intel_agp
>
Where are you running lsmod - server or thin client? (Can you run
lsmod on the thin clients?)

If the thin client has an intel video chipset, use XSERVER=intel. I
had the luxury of booting my thin clients as a thick client to find
out what video drivers they were using.

> When the xserver does start, I see this error when I press ALT-CTL-F1:
>
> OIL: ERROR liboiltest.c 361: oil_test_check_impl(): illegal instruction in
> mmxCombineAddU
>
> Can anyone give me advice how to troubleshoot my poor graphics performance?
>
> Should I try updating the ltsp image?
> I think my current version is 2008212-ubuntu3. Perhaps version ubuntu4 will
> fix my problem. Can I just do:
> sudo chroot /opt/ltsp/i386/
> sudo apt-get upgrade
> sudo ltsp-client-build

Don't do this from the chroot in Gutsy, if that is any help.

> Or do I have to start from scratch (delete /i386 directory then run
> ltsp-build-client)?

Shouldn't need to delete the i386 directory either.
>
> Is there another graphics driver I need to load etc.?
> Which log files can I look at? How can I export them to the server so I can
> look at them more easily and email them?

Good question, anyone else know?


Charles

--
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
 
Old 04-23-2008, 06:29 PM
infiniti_guy
 
Default Hardy Display problems

I too noticed that video playback in general was not good (jerky and skipping
frames in Flash and with MPlayer) with LDM_DirectX=True on Hardy. The
setting is supposed to help things by removing the encryption, but something
is not working right. Maybe one of the developers can comment on this? I
wonder if it is an amd64 OS with i386 clients issue? There seems to be
problems with this setup, as I suspect (but can not confirm) the developers
are running 100% i386 servers and clients. Or it could be there is a bug
with the LDM_DirectX configuration. But now that I see you have the same
problem, I think this is likely a bug.



Krsnendu Dasa wrote:
>
> I have installed Hardy from Beta with all updates applied. I think I have
> updated the ltsp tree once some time ago also.
>
> I have a problem with display performance. Under K12ltsp6 (ltsp4.2) I had
> tux maths, flash videos etc running well (and that was on an old system
> (AMD
> 2500XP with 2 GB RAM). I upgrade to Feisty on a Quad Core Intel machine
> with
> 4 GB RAM. Again Flash and other graphics was fine. Now I have installed
> Hardy, screen redraws are slow even on ordinary web pages and Flash videos
> are especially jerky. (I have turned off hardware acceleration for flash.)
>
> I have LDM_DIRECTX=True.
>
> I have tested it with echo $DISPLAY and directx seems to be working.
>
> I suspect that the wrong driver is being used for the graphics card. I am
> not sure which one.
>
> If I do lspci on the client it says:
>
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller : ATI Technologies Inc 3D Rage Pro 1x/2X
> (rev 5c)
>
> I tried the following settings for xserver one by one:
> XSERVER=vesa
> XSERVER=ati
> XSERVER=radeon
>
> I also tried X_COLOR_DEPTH=16
>
> Each time all I got was a black screen with a white dash flashing in the
> top
> left corner.
>
> Using lsmod the only thing which seemed relevant was:
> intel_agp 25492 1
> agpgart 34760 1 intel_agp
>
> When the xserver does start, I see this error when I press ALT-CTL-F1:
>
> OIL: ERROR liboiltest.c 361: oil_test_check_impl(): illegal instruction in
> mmxCombineAddU
>
> Can anyone give me advice how to troubleshoot my poor graphics
> performance?
>
> Should I try updating the ltsp image?
> I think my current version is 2008212-ubuntu3. Perhaps version ubuntu4
> will
> fix my problem. Can I just do:
> sudo chroot /opt/ltsp/i386/
> sudo apt-get upgrade
> sudo ltsp-client-build
> Or do I have to start from scratch (delete /i386 directory then run
> ltsp-build-client)?
>
> Is there another graphics driver I need to load etc.?
> Which log files can I look at? How can I export them to the server so I
> can
> look at them more easily and email them?
>
> All help appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
> Krsnendu dasa
>
> --
> edubuntu-users mailing list
> edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
>
>

--
View this message in context: http://www.nabble.com/Hardy-Display-problems-tp16580555p16834746.html
Sent from the edubuntu-users mailing list archive at Nabble.com.


--
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
 
Old 04-23-2008, 06:33 PM
infiniti_guy
 
Default Hardy Display problems

I saw the change log form ubuntu4 and 5, and it definitely fixed an X
configuration issue that caused problems specifying a specific XServer
driver. I recommend you upgrade the ltsp-server. As I stated earlier,
though, I think there may be a problem with video playback under
LDM_DirectX=True mode, so this may not help entirely.



Charles Austin-2 wrote:
>
> On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 2:40 AM, Krsnendu dasa <krsnendu108@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> I have installed Hardy from Beta with all updates applied. I think I have
>> updated the ltsp tree once some time ago also.
>>
>> I have a problem with display performance. Under K12ltsp6 (ltsp4.2) I had
>> tux maths, flash videos etc running well (and that was on an old system
>> (AMD
>> 2500XP with 2 GB RAM). I upgrade to Feisty on a Quad Core Intel machine
>> with
>> 4 GB RAM. Again Flash and other graphics was fine. Now I have installed
>> Hardy, screen redraws are slow even on ordinary web pages and Flash
>> videos
>> are especially jerky. (I have turned off hardware acceleration for
>> flash.)
> Are you running 32 bit or 64 bit version of the OS? Flash is a real
> challenge in Gutsy 64 bit, but this is a Firefox issue. I don't think
> it has been resolved yet.
>
>>
>> I have LDM_DIRECTX=True.
>>
>> I have tested it with echo $DISPLAY and directx seems to be working.
>>
>> I suspect that the wrong driver is being used for the graphics card. I am
>> not sure which one.
>>
>> If I do lspci on the client it says:
>>
>> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller : ATI Technologies Inc 3D Rage Pro
>> 1x/2X
>> (rev 5c)
>>
>> I tried the following settings for xserver one by one:
>> XSERVER=vesa
>> XSERVER=ati
>> XSERVER=radeon
>>
>> I also tried X_COLOR_DEPTH=16
>>
>> Each time all I got was a black screen with a white dash flashing in the
>> top
>> left corner.
>>
>> Using lsmod the only thing which seemed relevant was:
>> intel_agp 25492 1
>> agpgart 34760 1 intel_agp
>>
> Where are you running lsmod - server or thin client? (Can you run
> lsmod on the thin clients?)
>
> If the thin client has an intel video chipset, use XSERVER=intel. I
> had the luxury of booting my thin clients as a thick client to find
> out what video drivers they were using.
>
>> When the xserver does start, I see this error when I press ALT-CTL-F1:
>>
>> OIL: ERROR liboiltest.c 361: oil_test_check_impl(): illegal instruction
>> in
>> mmxCombineAddU
>>
>> Can anyone give me advice how to troubleshoot my poor graphics
>> performance?
>>
>> Should I try updating the ltsp image?
>> I think my current version is 2008212-ubuntu3. Perhaps version ubuntu4
>> will
>> fix my problem. Can I just do:
>> sudo chroot /opt/ltsp/i386/
>> sudo apt-get upgrade
>> sudo ltsp-client-build
>
> Don't do this from the chroot in Gutsy, if that is any help.
>
>> Or do I have to start from scratch (delete /i386 directory then run
>> ltsp-build-client)?
>
> Shouldn't need to delete the i386 directory either.
>>
>> Is there another graphics driver I need to load etc.?
>> Which log files can I look at? How can I export them to the server so I
>> can
>> look at them more easily and email them?
>
> Good question, anyone else know?
>
>
> Charles
>
> --
> edubuntu-users mailing list
> edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at:
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
>
>

--
View this message in context: http://www.nabble.com/Hardy-Display-problems-tp16580555p16834749.html
Sent from the edubuntu-users mailing list archive at Nabble.com.


--
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
 
Old 04-23-2008, 09:53 PM
Gavin McCullagh
 
Default Hardy Display problems

Hi,

On Wed, 23 Apr 2008, infiniti_guy wrote:

> I too noticed that video playback in general was not good (jerky and skipping
> frames in Flash and with MPlayer) with LDM_DirectX=True on Hardy.

The reality is that video playback across thin clients is never likely to
be that good. It can be manageable with one or two clients, but video
playback is not something that thin clients (as opposed to diskless clients
with local apps) are good at.

Gavin


--
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
 
Old 04-23-2008, 10:11 PM
"Krsnendu dasa"
 
Default Hardy Display problems

It was fine in K12ltsp 6 and even on Feisty it was not too bad. There
is something different about Hardy.

On 24/04/2008, Gavin McCullagh <gmccullagh@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>
> On Wed, 23 Apr 2008, infiniti_guy wrote:
>
> > I too noticed that video playback in general was not good (jerky and skipping
> > frames in Flash and with MPlayer) with LDM_DirectX=True on Hardy.
>
>
> The reality is that video playback across thin clients is never likely to
> be that good. It can be manageable with one or two clients, but video
> playback is not something that thin clients (as opposed to diskless clients
> with local apps) are good at.
>
>
> Gavin
>
>
>
> --
> edubuntu-users mailing list
> edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
> Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
>

--
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
 
Old 04-28-2008, 07:51 PM
"R. Scott Belford"
 
Default Hardy Display problems

I am afraid that I too have to echo display problems with Hardy. I
upgraded the 7.10 install at one of our City's parks, and the kids are
not pleased. A few of the clients are not booting anymore.

It's all about runescape for them, and the performance has become
miserable. Flash and Java were actually running well on the thin
clients with 7.10. This is not the case with 8.04.

I have tweaked the lts.conf file to make it the same as it was in 7.10.
I am also wondering if it is a LDM_DIRECTX issue. I'll test or try
anything if you have suggestions.

--scott


Krsnendu dasa wrote:
> It was fine in K12ltsp 6 and even on Feisty it was not too bad. There
> is something different about Hardy.

--
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/edubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:55 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org