-   -   Synchronize two LTSP servers' /home? (http://www.linux-archive.org/edubuntu-user/660435-synchronize-two-ltsp-servers-home.html)

Joseph Bishay 04-27-2012 05:36 PM

Synchronize two LTSP servers' /home?

Hello,

I hope everyone is doing well.

Our school has moved to it's new purpose-built facility and things are
working perfectly -- the building was wired so that all network jacks
in the building are "home-run" back to the main lan room, where the
LTSP server is. Thus the different bottle-necks we used to suffer
from using single cable -> switch single cable -> switch are gone.

One thing I need to resolve is how to sync the user's files in our old
building to our new building. Some of the users still go back and
forth, and we have an Edubuntu server at each location. Is there a
recommended way to do so? Is it as simple as activating Ubuntu One
(since it's built-into Edubuntu) for those users? Or is there
something better.

The two machines are not identical, so I'd only want to sync the user's files.

Thank you very much!
Joseph

theluketaylor 04-27-2012 05:41 PM

Synchronize two LTSP servers' /home?

You probably want to setup a cron rsync job if you really want to sync.
*
a*/home NFS server and mounting the user's files rather than storing them locally would be a much more robust option.* Depending on the bandwidth between sites that might not be reasonable performance though.

Joseph Bishay 05-01-2012 04:01 PM

Synchronize two LTSP servers' /home?

Hello,

Thank you for your reply.

A /home NFS server won't work because of the bandwidth between the two
server is not enough.

I think a cron RSYNC job would be great -- do I just need to sync the
non-hidden files in the /home/user folder? Any issues with
permissions?

Thank you
Joseph

theluketaylor 05-02-2012 01:07 PM

Synchronize two LTSP servers' /home?

rsync can be configured*to do what you want with*permissions.
*
I'd highly recommnd using a central authentication source like LDAP so you don't have to make sure everyone gets created with the right UID along with all the password hassles of different accounts on different servers.* LDAP doesn't need a lot of bandwidth so you won't really have any issues there.

*
If you're like my setup edubuntu is in addition to windows labs so my edbuntu server is joined to active directory and people just use their existing usernames and passwords.* If you have AD it's pretty easy to do and saves a lot of user hassle.