Old 02-26-2012, 02:52 PM
Zied ALAYA

Default Edubuntu 11.10 migration: any script/howto to help

Good evening every body,
our loco team is currently leading a migration project in many schools.

we tried Edubuntu 11.10 and there was many little problems that was
solved after update.
Since we don't have internet in all schools and the project migration
should be easy for instructors, we generated an up to date DVD (using
Ubuntu Customization Kit).

Using the new DVD we did the installation and as a simple desktop it
works very well.

The problem now is that the server did'nt work.

I did not have a lot of time since that day so I'm asking if some one
have a script to share with us to help us to (re)configure / start the
server.

Any help is welcome

Regards
Zied ALAYA
LoCo Contact of Ubuntu-tn
@Zied_ALAYA on Twitter

Old 02-27-2012, 09:07 AM
Valerio Pachera

2012/2/26 Zied ALAYA <zied.alaya@ubuntu.com>:
> Using the new DVD we did the installation and as a simple desktop it works
> very well.
> The problem now is that the server did'nt work.

Please, be more specific.
What does it mean didn't work?
Does the installation process stop? If yes, at what point?
Give also some hardware details of the server.

Old 02-27-2012, 01:51 PM
Zied ALAYA

On Mon, Feb 27, 2012 at 11:07 AM, Valerio Pachera <sirio81@gmail.com> wrote:

2012/2/26 Zied ALAYA <zied.alaya@ubuntu.com>:

> Using the new DVD we did the installation and as a simple desktop it works

> very well.

> The problem now is that the server did'nt work.

Please, be more specific.

What does it mean didn't work?

Does the installation process stop? If yes, at what point?

Give also some hardware details of the server.

Using the default DVD (from official download) the server "just" works after installation and thin client boot & work.
due to some problems, we generated an up to date DVD.

using the new DVD, the installation don't stop and it boots correctly.
The server works very well as a stand alone workstation.
But thin client did not boot at all !

so I'm asking if there a simple howto (for me) or some script so I can give it to teachers and help them to learn how to install by themselve.

--
Cordialement
Zied ALAYA

Old 02-27-2012, 06:33 PM
David Groos

Hi Zied,

As a teacher who 'figured it out' on installing and setting up a thin client server (and now a fat client server the last 2 years) I would NOT recommend having teachers set them up--even with scripts there are decisions to be made that teachers might not have the background to answer.* What I ended up doing was setting up the server just the way I wanted it, then using clonezilla, made a clone of it and cloned it onto other servers.* I did have to specify a few settings for each server afterwards but they weren't too much, things like changing /etc/hosts etc.* But, if you know how to create/adjust scripts, I believe that in Greece they use a script to set up the servers but you would have to customize the scripts to your situation/setting.

BTW, I would recommend looking into using fatclients not thin clients if your machines are at least Pentium IV 2.2 GHz or better with a gig of RAM--that's what I use as my minimum standard for fat clients.* If you have about that but only 512 megs of RAM that is more borderline and then I might select localapps which is basically thin clients but you can tell which programs should run on the machine locally.

Good luck,
David G.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:57 PM
Valerio Pachera

2012/2/27 Zied ALAYA <zied.alaya@ubuntu.com>:
> The server works very well as a stand alone workstation.
> But thin client did not boot at all !

Check if ltsp-server-standalone is installed; if not, install it and reboot;
check if dhcp server is working;
check you cables!
- can you ping the clients from the server?
- is the network card of server and client up 100Mb/s or 1000Mb/s
(ethtool eth0)
If the previous things are ok, run
sudo ltsp-update-sshkeys
sudo ltsp-update-image

> so I'm asking if there a simple howto (for me) or some script so I can give
> it to teachers and help them to learn how to install by themselve.

Here I'm lost. You speak of thin client. That means teachers don't
have to install anything because every computer boot from the server.