-   -   Fat client and memory usage (http://www.linux-archive.org/edubuntu-user/635653-fat-client-memory-usage.html)

Valerio Pachera 02-21-2012 06:32 AM

Fat client and memory usage

Hi all, I'm testing fat client on a edubuntu 11.10 server.
The fat client has 512MB of ram. Part of them are used by the graphic
card (~32).
After the boot, it shows ldm. At this point it's using 221MB of ram
and 0 of swap.

When I try to log in kde, it does it but it crashes soon after.
On console (ctrl-alt F1) I see message like "out of memory: killing process...".
There is almost no free ram space and 108MB of swap (the total amount
of swap) is used.

Using "ubuntu 2d" profile, works a bit better (it doesn't crash right away).
Swap is not used till I open some applications.

Do any of you use fat clients?
Which amount of ram do you suggest to use to work fine?

Alkis Georgopoulos 02-21-2012 07:54 AM

Fat client and memory usage

Στις 21/02/2012 09:32 πμ, ο/η Valerio Pachera *γραψε:

Do any of you use fat clients?
Which amount of ram do you suggest to use to work fine?

Fat clients are no different in RAM requirements than regular machines.

From https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/SystemRequirements:
> 1 GiB RAM (system memory)

To prevent crashes, you can can define a big network swap by putting
SIZE=512
in your /etc/ltsp/nbdswapd.conf, but of course your 512 MB RAM clients
will still go slow if they use a lot of network swap.

Try creating an LXDE chroot or switch to using localapps instead of full
fat sessions.

Or put more RAM to your clients.