Old 02-10-2012, 02:37 PM
Jim Christiansen

Default How to speed up Epoptes broadcast to 30 fat clients on gig netwk

I have run Epoptes and broadcast my desktop to 4 clients and found the refresh on the clients (fat) to be incomplete or too slow. *Is there any way to speed up the rate that the lab of 30 clients will refresh? *The main use that I had used screen broadcasting for is for demonstrations in my design classes. *I like screen broadcasts much for than displaying my screen through an lcd projector.

If I maximize then minimize a window over what I'm working on then I everything seems to redraw well. *I haven't tried with more than4 fat clients, but I will try 25 this morning...

Epoptes looks to be an awesome setup and I'm excited to use it class-wide. *Thank you for all of your hard work.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:37 PM
Alkis Georgopoulos

Στις 10/02/2012 05:37 μμ, ο/η Jim Christiansen *γραψε:

Is there any way to speed up the rate that the lab of 30 clients will refresh?

Epoptes launches an x11vnc server in shared mode, which I believe is as
fast as this specific technology can get. Unfortunately VNC is slow.
A gigabit network will help. On 100 mbps networks VNC repeaters could
help, but it would be very difficult to do it automatically.

In the future, we want to implement screen AND video broadcasting with
multicasting, so that a teacher can show e.g. a full screen video even
in 100 Mbps LANs. We'll have to develop a small client in C so that it
can be used as a localapp in LTSP thin clients with 128 MB RAM too,
that's why we can't do it soon.