Old 02-08-2012, 04:44 PM
Valerio Pachera

Default lightdm: ssh / rdesktop / no enription

Hi all, I wish ltsp client to NOT use encryption to lower the cpu usage.

I read
http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/lucid/man5/lts.conf.5.html
it's possible to do that by the option LDM_DIRECTX to set in the file
/var/lib/tftpboot/ltsp/i386/lts.conf
1) How can I check and see it the ltsp client is realy not using encription?

I noticed in edubuntu 11.10 is possible to select "rdesktop" or "ssh"
like backend.
2) I have no clear if that has anything to do with the LDM_DIRECTX.
May you tell me more about rdesktop and ssh choise?

By the way, choosing rdesktop the client fails to log in.

Old 02-08-2012, 04:51 PM
Stéphane Graber

Hi all, I wish ltsp client to NOT use encryption to lower the cpu usage.

I read
http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/lucid/man5/lts.conf.5.html
it's possible to do that by the option LDM_DIRECTX to set in the file
/var/lib/tftpboot/ltsp/i386/lts.conf
1) How can I check and see it the ltsp client is realy not using encription?

I noticed in edubuntu 11.10 is possible to select "rdesktop" or "ssh"
like backend.
2) I have no clear if that has anything to do with the LDM_DIRECTX.
May you tell me more about rdesktop and ssh choise?

By the way, choosing rdesktop the client fails to log in.

Hi,

rdesktop is an RDP client for Windows Terminal Server (mostly), so you
probably don't want to use that

Indeed using:
[default]
LDM_DIRECTX=True

In your lts.conf should do the trick, you can confirm it by looking at
the value of "echo $DISPLAY" from a terminal started on one of you thin
clients.

If it contains something like "x.x.x.x:Y" where x.x.x.x is the thin
client IP, then you are using the non-encrypted X protocol, if you see
something like "localhost:Y" (I think), then it means it's going over
SSH and so is encrypted.

--
Stéphane Graber
Ubuntu developer