-   -   Fat client have internet but server doa (http://www.linux-archive.org/edubuntu-user/630352-fat-client-have-internet-but-server-doa.html)

Jim Christiansen 02-08-2012 03:59 PM

Fat client have internet but server doa

Hello everyone. *
I'm a teacher who had been using K12LTSP for many years on two 30 client labs and switched to Edubuntu and ltsp last year using only fat clients. *Things have been awesome, but today while trying to install Epoptes ran into a problem... *I have one wired connection on the server but had two eth connections showing in the network applet. *I removed the one that was indicated "never used" and now the fat clients boot and have internet but the server can't access internet.

The one wired connection that is listed is "ifupdown (eth0)" and can not be edited...
I should also say that I had students working on it last year playing around with the initial install and checking out what they could do with it. *The history file didn't look too scary and when my other server *that drove my classroom*died,*I grabbed this "test" box, slid it into place and just added users to it. *It has run well since power up with zero troubles until today. *

I knew that I may have troubles down the road because I've been staring at the other eth1 "never used" for months...
So now I'm kind of stuck... *Help!!

Jim Christiansen 02-08-2012 05:30 PM

Fat client have internet but server doa

Hello Steve, *Thanks. *It doesn't appear that the /etc/network/interfaces file is being used. *It is there but the server starts without a functioning network... *The interfaces file looks to be complete but just doesn't work. *I have removed the network applet but that hasn't changed anything...

As a matter of fact, the Ubnuntu box I'm sitting in front of right now with a static connection has an virtually empty***/etc/network/interfaces file. *All if has in it is:auto loiface lo inet loopback

That's it.. *I wonder where the ip, gateway and other info is stored? *
Right now the clients work, so things are temporarily ok.