Old 02-07-2012, 08:52 PM
Asmo Koskinen

Default Openssl-problem with Epoptes

I just installed Epoptes from ppa to the Ubuntu 12.04.

There was a little problem with openssl.

root@ubuntu:/home/ltsp# chroot /opt/ltsp/i386
root@ubuntu:/# apt-get install epoptes-client

root@ubuntu:/# epoptes-client -c
/usr/sbin/epoptes-client: line 132: openssl: command not found
epoptes-client ERROR: Failed to fetch certificate from localhost:789

root@ubuntu:/# apt-get install openssl

root@ubuntu:/# epoptes-client -c
depth=0 C = AU, ST = Some-State, O = Internet Widgits Pty Ltd
verify error:num=18:self signed certificate
verify return:1
depth=0 C = AU, ST = Some-State, O = Internet Widgits Pty Ltd
verify return:1
DONE
Successfully fetched certificate from localhost:789

After that Epoptes worked out just fine (client is Asus Eee):

http://www.arkki.info/howto/Precise/Screenshot%20at%202012-02-07%2023:33:10.png

Best Regards Asmo Koskinen,

Old 02-07-2012, 10:46 PM
Stphane Graber

[...]

The version of epoptes (0.4.2) currently in 12.04 already depends on
openssl.

Why are you using the PPA on 12.04?

--
Stphane Graber
Ubuntu developer

Old 02-08-2012, 04:29 AM
Alkis Georgopoulos

Στις 07-02-2012, ημ*ρα Τρι, και ώρα 23:52 +0200, ο/η Asmo Koskinen
*γραψε:
> root@ubuntu:/# epoptes-client -c
> /usr/sbin/epoptes-client: line 132: openssl: command not found

$ apt-cache show epoptes-client | grep ^Recommends:
Recommends: openssl, python-gtk2, xterm, x11vnc, zenity

Unfortunately LTSP thin client chroots in Ubuntu have apt configured to
not install Recommended packages.
On the other hand, the epoptes-client package contains a plugin that
copies (with cp) the server certificate to the chroot automatically.
And, the sysadmin can also use cp to manually copy the certificate
instead of installing openssl:
cp /etc/epoptes/server.crt /opt/ltsp/i386/etc/epoptes/
And finally, the openssl executable isn't needed by epoptes-client later
on at all, only as a helper to fetch the certificate... i.e. it's not
really a dependency.

So I'm not sure how to handle this... possible solutions are:
1) If LTSP in Ubuntu was modified to install recommended packages,
like in Debian,
2) If epoptes-client depended on openssl, instead of recommending it,
3) If the wiki page mentioned using `cp` on Ubuntu thin clients
instead of `epoptes-client -c`.

Old 02-08-2012, 03:15 PM
Stéphane Graber

[...]

Won't happen in 12.04 at least, my guess is that we'd need to promote a
lot of packages to main if we were to do that.

2) If epoptes-client depended on openssl, instead of recommending it,
3) If the wiki page mentioned using `cp` on Ubuntu thin clients
instead of `epoptes-client -c`.

Couldn't you have "epoptes-client -c" print an informative message
instead of the "command not found"? Either suggesting to install openssl
or pointing to how to do it without openssl?

--
Stéphane Graber
Ubuntu developer

Old 02-08-2012, 03:35 PM
Alkis Georgopoulos

Στις 08-02-2012, ημ*ρα Τετ, και ώρα 11:15 -0500, ο/η Stéphane Graber
*γραψε:

> Couldn't you have "epoptes-client -c" print an informative message
> instead of the "command not found"? Either suggesting to install
> openssl or pointing to how to do it without openssl?

Sure, the "command not found" isn't a good message, I'll put a better
one in the next version.