-   -   Ok...I'm back...Autologin and shutting down/rebooting thin-clients remotely (http://www.linux-archive.org/edubuntu-user/609354-ok-im-back-autologin-shutting-down-rebooting-thin-clients-remotely.html)

David Groos 12-12-2011 02:38 PM

Ok...I'm back...Autologin and shutting down/rebooting thin-clients remotely

Hi David,

Welcome back!

For the end-of-class reboot, that would be simple with Epoptes ("overseer" in Greek) -- a new replacement for iTALC being mainly used and developed in Greece by alkisg and team mates.* It's quite a bit quicker (and seems more stable) than italc. Also it is just entering the international arena and is perhaps at a more malleable stage of development if you have some good ideas.* It would be a simple matter of selecting the icons representing the different clients in class and then pressing the reboot button; all would reboot right then and there.

Also, couldn't you just define the kindergarten clients via MAC addresses in the lts.conf and tell those clients to autologin -- but I don't know how to tell them to do it just within a certain time range like you need it.

Anyway, more info on epoptes at http://epoptes.org and to get more interactive help on it try #ltsp, esp. when it's creators are present.

David G

On Mon, Dec 12, 2011 at 9:06 AM, David Trask <dtrask@vcsvikings.org> wrote:

It's been a while. *I've been out of the edubuntu loop (I was one of the original users) for a while as I've been using something else, but necessity and desire have brought me back. *It's good to be back too. *I've set up a test server and clients for 11.10 and have been playing around. *iTalc does most of what I need. *BUT...

Here's what I need to do. *For our youngest kids (kindergarten), I need to set the thin-clients to login automatically in the computer lab. *Having them try to log in is simply too time consuming at that age. *What I do now is set my lab to "auto-login" for the first period and then at the end of the period, I set it back to "normal login". *I can figure out how to do it sorta' manually by having two copies of lts.conf and switching between them...one with autologin set up with ldm and one without. *(I cannot just do the default autologin=true as the server is for the whole building and I'm simply trying to control one computer lab). *Now...if there is a more elegant solution, I'm happy to try it. *My issue is....

In order for my idea to work, I need to be able to physically reboot the thin-clients or they don't pick up the change in lts.conf. *Is there a way to reboot and/or shut-down *thin-clients? *I would imagine if one can ssh into the thin-clients, then they can be rebooted...correct? *Then perhaps I could script it? *Any ideas and how-to's are welcome. *(I could even use some tips on how to ssh into the clients) *Thanks!

David Trask
Technology Director/Teacher
Vassalboro Community School
dtrask@vcsvikings.org