Old 11-23-2011, 07:28 PM
Zied ALAYA

Default Edubuntu 11.10: Unity menu don't show in thin client

Hi,
our loco team is currently leading a migration project in many schools.
we want to use old machines with a good edubuntu server.

Actually we have faced a little problem. After installing Edubuntu
11.10, thin client can boot but the Unity menu don't show !

So students don't have a menu application.

Any idea please ?

Regards
Zied ALAYA

Old 11-24-2011, 07:47 AM

our loco team is currently leading a migration project in many schools.
we want to use old machines with a good edubuntu server.

Actually we have faced a little problem. After installing Edubuntu
11.10, thin client can boot but the Unity menu don't show !

Have you tried using another desktop environment?

Unless you really want to use Unity, you could also use Edubuntu 11.04,
which comes with Gnome 2.

Theo Schmidt

Old 11-24-2011, 09:42 AM
Zied ALAYA

our loco team is currently leading a migration project in many schools.
we want to use old machines with a good edubuntu server.

Actually we have faced a little problem. After installing Edubuntu
11.10, thin client can boot but the Unity menu don't show !

Have you tried using another desktop environment?

Unless you really want to use Unity, you could also use Edubuntu
11.04, which comes with Gnome 2.

Theo Schmidt

Not yet (we will do it today with Edubuntu 10.04).

but the user expirience with Unity , for complete newebi persone, is better.

Is this a general problem or it's just our case ?
should we fill a bug with that ?

Regards
Zied ALAYA

Old 11-24-2011, 03:10 PM
dbclinton

On Thu, 2011-11-24 at 11:42 +0100, Zied ALAYA wrote:
> Not yet (we will do it today with Edubuntu 10.04).
>
> but the user expirience with Unity , for complete newebi persone, is better.
>
> Is this a general problem or it's just our case ?
> should we fill a bug with that ?

I'm not sure this was the exact problem, but we've also seen Unity
desktops without icons down the side (using 11.04). When it has
happened, I haven't had the time to diagnose it, but just switch quickly
back to gnome.

Old 11-24-2011, 07:14 PM
Zied ALAYA

On Thu, Nov 24, 2011 at 5:10 PM, dbclinton <dbclin@gmail.com> wrote:

On Thu, 2011-11-24 at 11:42 +0100, Zied ALAYA wrote:

> Not yet (we will do it today with Edubuntu 10.04).

> but the user expirience with Unity , for complete newebi persone, is better.

> Is this a general problem or it's just our case ?

> should we fill a bug with that ?

I'm not sure this was the exact problem, but we've also seen Unity

desktops without icons down the side (using 11.04). When it has

happened, I haven't had the time to diagnose it, but just switch quickly

back to gnome.

How can we switch to gnome ?I tried to get client to boot with Gnome, but did'nt succeed ?
--
Cordialement

Zied ALAYA
LoCo Contact de Ubuntu-tn
http://zied-alaya.blogspot.com

Old 11-24-2011, 07:25 PM
dbclinton

I'm not sure if 11.10 still supports it, but with 11.04 you can choose a
session before the user enters his password (click on "session" at the
bottom of the password screen).
I don't know if you can set all the clients to automatically use a
particular non-Unity session.
Good luck
David Clinton

Old 11-24-2011, 07:31 PM
James Goff

You can add the following line to your lts.conf in 11.10 to have all
your clients use the gnome-fallback instead of unity. That is what we
use with our ltsp lab. Note: This doesn't work with a stock 11.04 install.

LDM_SESSION="gnome-session --session=gnome-fallback"

James

Old 11-24-2011, 11:31 PM
Zied ALAYA

Great it works !

one more problem to solve and it will rock

thin clients have azerty keyboard, but applications consider it as qwerty !even when I change keybord layout from administration panel it did not work.
what should we do ?

RegardsZied ALAYA

You can add the following line to your lts.conf in 11.10 to have all your clients use the gnome-fallback instead of unity. *That is what we use with our ltsp lab. *Note: *This doesn't work with a stock 11.04 install.

*LDM_SESSION="gnome-session --session=gnome-fallback"

James

I'm not sure if 11.10 still supports it, but with 11.04 you can choose a

session before the user enters his password (click on "session" at the

bottom of the password screen).

I don't know if you can set all the clients to automatically use a

particular non-Unity session.

Good luck

David Clinton

* * * * > *Not yet (we will do it today with Edubuntu 10.04).

* * * * >

Old 11-25-2011, 03:26 AM
Stéphane Graber

Old 11-26-2011, 07:21 PM
Zied ALAYA

On 11/24/2011 07:31 PM, Zied ALAYA wrote:

> Great it works ! one more problem to solve and it will rock

> thin clients have azerty keyboard, but applications consider it as

> qwerty ! even when I change keybord layout from administration

> panel it did not work.

> what should we do ?

> Regards Zied ALAYA

Add:

XKBLAYOUT=fr

to your lts.conf, this should do the trick.

- --

Stéphane Graber

Ubuntu developer

http://www.ubuntu.comThanks a lot Stéphane.*that solved 50% of the problem !indeed, users need some times to write with arabic letters. So they need to change keybord layout.

But the graphic utility to change *was impossible to run (for thin client and the same for the server): no think appear.
Do we miss some thing ?Or should I fill a bug with that ?

The same problem was with the graphic utility to administrate users (but here we can prepare some script to make it easy for teachers).--