Old 11-16-2011, 03:31 PM
"Rippl, Steve"

Default Firefox caching to NFS mounted home directories killing disk IO on file server

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 8:10 AM, Donaldson Jeffrey <jdonaldson@ncs.k12.de.us> wrote:

I've been trying for a few days now to get Firefox to cache pages to /tmp locally for all users. I updated to Firefox 7, then edited the firefox.js in /etc/firefox/pref to include these lines -

pref("general.config.obscure_value", 0); * (supposed to tell FF not to worry about byteshift)

pref("general.config.filename", "firefox.cfg");

I then took a customized firefox.cfg file and placed it in /usr/lib/firefox-7.0.1.

This is what we do (to lock down network settings and the like) and it works. *The only problems I can think of are permissions issues on */usr/lib/firefox-7.0.1/firefox.cfg (can the user read it?) and whether you have an error in the _javascript_ in the .cfg file? *Then again this is all run on the server for us (no local apps), are you running Firefox as a local app?

For what it's worth, we found that many apps and even the Gnome desktop itself didn't work that well with nfs mounted home folders for the students. *We've since moved to having real local folder on each of the LTSP server (we have multiple load balanced) and we use csync (http://www.csync.org/) to*synchronize*those with the central file server on login/logout and every 10 minutes they're logged in. *Performance went up dramatically and the load on the file server is almost nothing.

--
Steve Rippl
Technology Director