Old 11-12-2011, 12:22 PM
Jeff Brown

Default How to speed up the Edubuntu thinclient and how to create multiple user on the Edubuntu server

On 12 Nov 2011, at 10:11 AM, jigmet mingur wrote:Hi Edubuntu Frds
******* Here* I have some doubts on Edubunt 10.10
1. How to speed up the Edubuntu thin client

I found this article*http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-368869.html*about compression.
Looking around the configuration files I didn't see any compression enabled in*/var/lib/tftpboot/ltsp/i386/lts.conf so I added:
## SSH compression between LTSP client and serverNETWORK_COMPRESSION = True*
Subjectively, using Firefox and LibreOffice apps feels a LOT faster.
But with 11 thin clients working (4 of them using TuxType and 1 using TuxPaint, the rest on Firefox or something else) the Dual Core was showing 2.8 to 3.4 workload (too high!) and the network throughput was still a solid 1.2GB per minute.
I know Tux-'x' is responsible for that, mostly, and is so slow it's unusable with more than 2 people using it at a time). But do give compression a try. I think it makes a noticeable improvement for browsing and general work.
(Aside: does anyone know of a decent touch-typing program that isn't as bandwidth intensive as Tux?)
And I*must*say,*though*I*haven't*tested*exhaustively,* while*Firefox, LibreOffice Write and Calc still take a fairly long time to load initially; once they're running they seem fine. And then again, they only take about as long as OpenOffice takes to start on a normal PC.
Overall, I'm very disappointed with the performance of Edubuntu compared to, for e.g., MS Terminal Server. One of these days I'd like to get around to booting a PXE basic X client and running an xtightvncviewer session to the host.
2. How to create thin client user on the server

Not sure I understand the question.
From a terminal:sudo adduser arbusername
Or use [System]*[Administration]*[Users*and*Groups] on the Gnome desktop.*
(Under Unity you can just click on the [+] application launcher and start typing user... or find it under System Administration.)
3.How to install the thin client manager.

Que?
Not sure what you mean, again.*In*11.04,*which*I'm*using,*the*closest*thin g*I*can*imagine*is*iTalc.*
HTH. And please try the compression and give us some feedback...--
edubuntu-users mailing list
edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Old 11-13-2011, 11:04 AM
Nigel Barker

On 12 November 2011 22:22, Jeff Brown <jeff@wildcoast.com> wrote:
> On 12 Nov 2011, at 10:11 AM, jigmet mingur wrote:

> I know Tux-'x' is responsible for that, mostly, and is so slow it's unusable
> with more than 2 people using it at a time). But do give compression a try.
> I think it makes a noticeable improvement for browsing and general work.
> (Aside: does anyone know of a decent touch-typing program that isn't as
> bandwidth intensive as Tux?)

We use ktouch. It is very plain and simple, but kids enjoy it.

I think tuxpaint performs better when launched from within Gcompris. I
haven't tested it it, but I have the impression that several thin
clients can launch it more or less simultaneously without all the
waiting that you get when using it directly from the menu.

(I uninstalled the other tux programs. Just not worth all the frustration)

cheers

nigel

Old 11-13-2011, 06:13 PM
Matt Johnson

On 12 November 2011 22:22, Jeff Brown <jeff@wildcoast.com> wrote:
> On 12 Nov 2011, at 10:11 AM, jigmet mingur wrote:

> I know Tux-'x' is responsible for that, mostly, and is so slow it's unusable
> with more than 2 people using it at a time). But do give compression a try.
> I think it makes a noticeable improvement for browsing and general work.
> (Aside: does anyone know of a decent touch-typing program that isn't as
> bandwidth intensive as Tux?)

Would your thin client hardware be up to allowing local apps? We run Tux Paint this way, which means that the thin client hardware resources (memory) are used. Really slick and gives LTSP environments great scalability, taking load from the server. We do this for Firefox (and Flash) too. And for TuxMath and Hydrogen.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LTSPLocalAppSetup

(Although on 10.04, I'm pretty sure I didn't have to copy the 'wrapper script' it's talking about.)

--
Matt

Old 11-14-2011, 06:55 AM
Jeff Brown

Thanks for the tip!
I'll give it a go. The workstations are P3s with 256Mb RAM, but hopefully they should work.

Tel:+27-74-101 5170Fax:+27-86-532 3508www.wildcoast.co.za