-   -   Announcing Epoptes, a computer lab management and monitoring tool (http://www.linux-archive.org/edubuntu-user/592309-announcing-epoptes-computer-lab-management-monitoring-tool.html)

Alkis Georgopoulos 10-28-2011 03:21 PM

Announcing Epoptes, a computer lab management and monitoring tool

Στις 28-10-2011, ημ*ρα *αρ, και ώρα 10:27 -0400, ο/η David Hopkins
*γραψε:
> Alkis,
>
> I am getting an error when trying to run the latest version of
> epoptes. Specifically, it says my account is not a member of the
> epoptes group. However, that is not the case, see the output from the
> terminal session below.

Hi David,

first of all, ensure that after your new group membership, you logged
off + back on as the website suggests, so that the new group is applied
to your session.

If that doesn't solve the problem, please replace your /usr/bin/epoptes
with this one, which has 4 modified lines:
http://paste.ubuntu.com/721617/

Then run `epoptes` from a terminal, and paste the output here.

Cheers,
Alkis

Alkis Georgopoulos 10-28-2011 10:56 PM

Announcing Epoptes, a computer lab management and monitoring tool

Στις 28-10-2011, ημ*ρα *αρ, και ώρα 16:46 -0400, ο/η David Hopkins
*γραψε:
> Please ignore. I hadn't noticed that I had selected my system as one
> of the systems to which to send the broadcast. So, loopbacks are not
> good.

You shouldn't be able to do that... you shouldn't even be seeing your
own system.
How do you run epoptes? Are you working on a thin client? Or on the
server itself? Or standalone clients? etc...

Alkis Georgopoulos 10-29-2011 01:57 AM

Announcing Epoptes, a computer lab management and monitoring tool

Στις 28-10-2011, ημ*ρα *αρ, και ώρα 21:23 -0400, ο/η David Hopkins
*γραψε:
> I am running from a thin client. epoptes is run from the teacher's
> account on thin client which is part of the lab. I simply selected
> all systems and then broadcasted ... the teacher's system shows up as
> one that can be selected.

That's a bug - we'll fix it.

> As long as I don't select that system, everything works very nicely ..
> broadcasting to 30 systems has a slight lag (about 1 sec) but unless
> you are moving quickly, it really isn't noticeable.

That's the default x11vnc speed, we can't do anything better with it
until we switch to using gstreamer + multicasting in the future.

> Is there documentation about how to set up rooms/classes like is shown
> on the website?

That'll be available in the next version, check the roadmap page. :)