Old 10-28-2011, 02:27 PM
David Hopkins

Default Announcing Epoptes, a computer lab management and monitoring tool

Alkis,

I am getting an error when trying to run the latest version of epoptes. Specifically, it says my account is not a member of the epoptes group. However, that is not the case, see the output from the terminal session below.

david.hopkins@ncslts1:~$ epoptes
User david.hopkins must be a member of group epoptes to run epoptes.
david.hopkins@ncslts1:~$ groups
Domain Users epoptes
david.hopkins@ncslts1:~$ tail -1 /etc/group
epoptes:x:128:root,david.hopkins

david.hopkins@ncslts1:~$ cat /etc/default/epoptes
# The port where the server will be listening on, and where the client will try
# to connect to. For security reasons it defaults to a system port, 569.
#PORT=569

# Epoptes server will use the following group for the communications socket.
# That means that any user in that group will be able to launch the epoptes UI
# and control the clients.
SOCKET_GROUP=epoptes

The epoptes service is running. I am confused about why this doesn't seem to work.

Sincerely,
Dave Hopkins
Newark Charter School
Newark Del

On Fri, Oct 14, 2011 at 6:00 PM, Alkis Georgopoulos <alkisg@gmail.com> wrote:

>From http://www.epoptes.org:

Epoptes is an open source (GPL3) computer lab management and monitoring

tool. It allows for screen broadcasting and monitoring, remote command

execution, message sending, imposing restrictions like screen locking or

sound muting the clients and much more!

It can be installed in Ubuntu based labs that may contain any

combination of the following: LTSP servers, thin and fat clients, non

LTSP servers, standalone workstations, NX clients etc. It should also

work in Debian based labs but that hasn't been tested yet.

It's is a partial rewrite of an older application called sch-scripts,

which has been successfully used the last year in about 250 Greek

schools. Epoptes already has a lot of features, but a lot more are

planned, and it's being developed at a very fast pace. It'll hopefully

be included in the Debian/Ubuntu archives in their next releases. It's

maintained by IT teachers and students, so it should be around for a

long time!

Hope some people that had a hard time making iTalc work will find it

useful!

Alkis Georgopoulos

http://p.sf.net/sfu/splunk-d2d-oct

For additional LTSP help, * try #ltsp channel on irc.freenode.net

Old 10-28-2011, 06:11 PM
David Hopkins

On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 11:21 AM, Alkis Georgopoulos <alkisg@gmail.com> wrote:

Στις 28-10-2011, ημ*ρα *αρ, και ώρα 10:27 -0400, ο/η David Hopkins

*γραψε:

> Alkis,

> I am getting an error when trying to run the latest version of

> epoptes. Specifically, it says my account is not a member of the

> epoptes group. However, that is not the case, see the output from the

> terminal session below.

Hi David,

first of all, ensure that after your new group membership, you logged

off + back on as the website suggests, so that the new group is applied

to your session.

If that doesn't solve the problem, please replace your /usr/bin/epoptes

with this one, which has 4 modified lines:

http://paste.ubuntu.com/721617/

Then run `epoptes` from a terminal, and paste the output here.

Cheers,

Alkis

Alkis,

Thanks! I had logged off/on which didn't help but I twiddled my thumbs for a half-hour and now it works. I didn't make any changes so I guess the issue was cached login information that timed out. I do have nscd running.

Epoptes runs very well and the teachers are excited about the capabilities it adds for them.

Sincerely,
Dave Hopkins

Old 10-28-2011, 08:17 PM
David Hopkins

Perhaps I spoke to soon.* When I broadcast to more than 5 systems, the broadcasting system go to a black screen which is then broadcast to the desktops and it is impossible to get the screen back without killing the user session that is running epoptes.* The server is dual-quad with 16Gb ram and Gb links. Clients are ltsp1620 with 2Gb ram and atom processor, 100Mb links.* The load on the server is around 1 and the load on the clients is around .3. Network bandwidth is very low (less than 1Mb/s). The mouse is still responsive but leaves a mouse trail of little dots across the black screen.* Everything else is working, just this issue with broadcasts.

Sincerely,
Dave Hopkins

Old 10-28-2011, 08:46 PM
David Hopkins

Please ignore. I hadn't noticed that I had selected my system as one of the systems to which to send the broadcast. So, loopbacks are not good.

Sincerely,
Dave Hopkins

Old 10-29-2011, 01:23 AM
David Hopkins

On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 6:56 PM, Alkis Georgopoulos <alkisg@gmail.com> wrote:

Στις 28-10-2011, ημ*ρα *αρ, και ώρα 16:46 -0400, ο/η David Hopkins

*γραψε:

> Please ignore. I hadn't noticed that I had selected my system as one

> of the systems to which to send the broadcast. So, loopbacks are not

> good.

You shouldn't be able to do that... you shouldn't even be seeing your

own system.

How do you run epoptes? Are you working on a thin client? Or on the

server itself? Or standalone clients? etc...

I am running from a thin client. epoptes is run from the teacher's account on thin client which is part of the lab.* I simply selected all systems and then broadcasted ... the teacher's system shows up as one that can be selected.*

*
As long as I don't select that system, everything works very nicely .. broadcasting to 30 systems has a slight lag (about 1 sec) but unless you are moving quickly, it really isn't noticeable.* Is there documentation about how to set up rooms/classes like is shown on the website?