-   -   Switching to Kubuntu; problems? (http://www.linux-archive.org/edubuntu-user/590364-switching-kubuntu-problems.html)

"Todd O'Bryan" 10-23-2011 04:02 PM

Switching to Kubuntu; problems?

I hate Unity. Sorry, but there you have it. Having to dig around to
find programs, not being able to put applets on panels...it's just too
much change! :-)

Anyway, I think I'm going to switch to Kubuntu for my lab. I should be
completely to fat clients within a couple of months, but I was
wondering if there are any gotchas I should be aware of.

Todd

Alkis Georgopoulos 10-23-2011 04:11 PM

Switching to Kubuntu; problems?

Στις 23-10-2011, ημ*ρα Κυρ, και ώρα 12:02 -0400, ο/η Todd O'Bryan
*γραψε:

http://www.liberiangeek.net/2011/08/return-to-ubuntu-classic-desktop-in-ubuntu-11-10/

Robert Curriden 10-23-2011 04:32 PM

Switching to Kubuntu; problems?

Let's all be honest. Fallback is not Classic; I'm hoping that 12.04 has
more common sense, and maintains the Classic desktop.

"Todd O'Bryan" 10-23-2011 04:43 PM

Switching to Kubuntu; problems?

That's the problem. Fallback is clearly something that's trying to
ease the transition to Unity, but I really, really, really don't want
to transition to Unity.

Rather than hoping that I get to keep falling back with each new
upgrade, I figure I might as well bite the bullet and switch to a
desktop manager that I'm tracking the newest version of, rather than
staying with one that's moving away from me and hoping they don't take
it away.

Todd

Stphane Graber 10-23-2011 05:20 PM

Switching to Kubuntu; problems?

Mike Biancaniello 10-23-2011 08:44 PM

Switching to Kubuntu; problems?

I've noticed a transition lately to optimisations for* smaller screens and making more out of limited real estate and for tablets and phone and such, it's wonderful and quite innovative.* However, for those of us who still use an actual monitor, it's annoying at best.* From not being able to scroll my firefox by clicking the bottom of the scrollbar to the entire unity interface, it is not optimised in the least for anyone with a screen larger than 10".

I'm trying to like unity, I really am.* But if I wanted a Mac, I'd fork over the $$$ (maybe should be $$$$$) and get a Mac.

Andy Figueroa 10-23-2011 09:11 PM

Switching to Kubuntu; problems?

IT seems to me that an Edubuntu LTSP server with an XFCE desktop would
be pretty decent.

Andy

dbclinton 10-23-2011 09:40 PM

Switching to Kubuntu; problems?

I would certainly cast my vote for XFCE. Besides sharing most of the
problems other people have had with Unity, my networks generally use
older hardware and we've had serious conflicts (like this one:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1828315) making Unity a
non-starter. I'm very worried about the future.
David Clinton

David Groos 10-23-2011 10:15 PM

Switching to Kubuntu; problems?

XFCE has the advantage of being really light weight, Right? That is a great advantage. What would be lost by moving away from GNOME? Wouldn't we loose the use of some current Edubuntu software? In other words, what's the full range of pros/cons?

David G

Jeremy Bicha 10-23-2011 10:53 PM

On 23 October 2011 16:44, Mike Biancaniello <mikebianc@aol.com> wrote:
> I've noticed a transition lately to optimisations for* smaller screens and
> making more out of limited real estate and for tablets and phone and such,
> it's wonderful and quite innovative.* However, for those of us who still use
> an actual monitor, it's annoying at best.* From not being able to scroll my
> firefox by clicking the bottom of the scrollbar to the entire unity
> interface, it is not optimised in the least for anyone with a screen larger
> than 10".

The scrollbars will be improved in Ubuntu 12.04. For a preview, see
http://vimeo.com/30096481
Technically, Firefox doesn't use the new overlay scrollbars. The
scrollbars did improve in 11.10 and they are pretty easy to remove
(just uninstall liboverlay-scrollbar* ).

Multi-monitor support should be getting some work in 12.04 which is
obviously not a tablet optimization. Unity and GNOME Shell definitely
work on average screens, not just small ones (I don't have a large
screen nor a Ubuntu-capable touchscreen at home). And there's
definitely value in having the same UI for tablet users and desktop
users. Neither Unity nor GNOME Shell fully support a touch interface
yet but GNOME Shell is closer.

On 23 October 2011 18:15, David Groos <djgroos@gmail.com> wrote:
> XFCE has the advantage of being really light weight, Right? That is a great advantage. What would be lost by moving away from GNOME? Wouldn't we loose the use of some current Edubuntu software? In other words, what's the full range of pros/cons?

Shipping xubuntu-desktop by default in no way impacts whether you can
use GNOME or KDE educational apps. I've not used XFCE recently but
it's not as full featured as a GNOME Fallback desktop (which will be
even more usable next release when indicators are ported to it).

Jeremy Bicha