-   -   Stale Processes (http://www.linux-archive.org/edubuntu-user/580761-stale-processes.html)

Donaldson Jeffrey 09-27-2011 05:01 PM

Stale Processes

I'm looking for an appscript that will help clean stale processes from
hung sessions and disconnected clients. I've searched around and keep
reading that Watchdog works, but leaves a lot of processes behind. I've
also read that a developer (Scott Balneaves) created a program called
xexit that sounds like a better alternative. Has anyone used this? Does
anyone have any recommendations? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Jeff Donaldson
Newark Charter School

Jeff Donaldson
Data Services Manager
Newark Charter School
(302) 369-2001 ext:425
jdonaldson@ncs.k12.de.us

Kai Wollweber 09-27-2011 05:19 PM

Stale Processes

Hi Jeff,

have a look at

We are using that script in our school. (ubuntu 10.04, ltsp, many
terminals, several application servers)

Kai Wollweber
Peter-Ustinov-Schule
Eckernförde

David Groos 09-27-2011 05:56 PM

Stale Processes

Hi Jeff,

I use something I learned on from list a couple of years ago.* Here's a copy of the applicable post from Andy, the person who made the script and has it on line.** I don't use it as a cron job but that would be good:

Andy Figueroa figueroa@andyfigueroa.us to edubuntu-users
show details 8/29/09

Thanks - Asmo.

One of the threads I was thinking of was included the one I started on 21

Apr 2009 at:

http://www.mail-archive.com/edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com/msg05248.html

The script (two actually) that I currently used has been improved somewhat

and can be found at: http://cathedralsoul.us/files/killstale.txt

and is reasonably well commented.

Andy Figueroa 09-27-2011 06:12 PM

Stale Processes

Thanks for the plug, David.

I still use both sets of scripts productively, though my 8.04
installation has been upgraded to 10.04. I didn't have to make any
changes to these scripts during the upgrade.

There is also a thread at:
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/edubuntu-users/2009-December/005906.html
that prompted the improvements that I made on that date, 20091203.

Direct links to the two sources are at:

http://cathedralsoul.us/files/killstale.txt

and

http://cathedralsoul.us/files/killusers.txt

I don't usually have to do any routine reboots to clean out stale or
orphaned process. At this time, by LTSP server has been running for 57
days.

Andy Figueroa