Old 09-14-2011, 02:53 PM
Jim Christiansen

Default ubuntu 10.04: problems with thin clients hanging on boot

Are your networks 100 megabit or gigabit? *All of my troubles went away when I installed gig switches. *I had similar troubles with slower switches.
Jim

Old 09-14-2011, 07:23 PM
john

Hi Dave,

I do have a customized lts.conf

Here it is the default section for reference, I also have per client
settings for printing and shutdown

[Default]
LDM_DIRECTX=True
LOCAL_APPS=True
LOCAL_APPS_MENU = True
LOCAL_APPS_MENU_ITEMS = firefox,google-chrome
LOCALDEV = True
SEARCH_DOMAIN = vanguard
DNS_SERVER = 10.114.5.50
cups_server = 10.110.0.105
TIMESERVER = 10.114.5.50
#SHUTDOWN_TIME = "18:59:30"
LDM_LIMIT_ONE_SESSION = True

# section name per man page for lts.conf
[vhs_lib]
LDM_PRINTER_DEFAULT=VHS-Lib-Printer
LDM_PRINTER_LIST=VHS-Lib-Printer
SHUTDOWN_TIME = "18:59:30"

Thanks for your ideas!

John

Old 09-14-2011, 07:32 PM
john

Hi Jim,

Some of my cable spans are 100 mb and there does seem to be a
correlation between distance from the server and the amount of
stations that hang. *Thinking out loud* I wonder if there is some work
around? Is this a race condition of some sort? If so I wonder if some
variation on the nbd_server sleep method above might help. I guess
I'll try remove the "quiet" option on client boot and bump the wait to
10 seconds and see if I can gain any more insight.

John

Old 09-14-2011, 07:51 PM
Gavin McCullagh

Hi,

On Wed, 14 Sep 2011, john wrote:

> Some of my cable spans are 100 mb and there does seem to be a
> correlation between distance from the server and the amount of
> stations that hang. *Thinking out loud* I wonder if there is some work
> around? Is this a race condition of some sort? If so I wonder if some
> variation on the nbd_server sleep method above might help. I guess
> I'll try remove the "quiet" option on client boot and bump the wait to
> 10 seconds and see if I can gain any more insight.

It would be worth checking if they are autonegotiating at 100Mbit Full
Duplex (or better). If that's failing and you're getting 10Mbit/sec or
half duplex, you'll be in trouble.

Gavin

Old 09-14-2011, 08:18 PM
john

Thanks Gavin,

I'll double check.

john

Old 09-14-2011, 08:25 PM
"Rippl, Steve"

Hi John,
We hit this in a big way when we first upgraded to 10.04. *The 2 things that fixed it for us were disabling*nbd_proxy in the images (make sure you run*update-initramfs within the chroot of the image, not on the server) and then making sure we were gig end to end on all our connections. *

Now they boot*consistently...Steve

[...]

Steve Rippl
Technology Director
Woodland Public Schools
360 841 2730

Old 09-15-2011, 01:27 AM
Peter k

Thanks for that email John. I think this is the same problem I was having.
-peter

Are all the thin clients the same hardware? Do you have a* custom
lts.conf specified?* I've had clients hang due to issues with some
modules I was loading (glx).

Sincerely,
Dave Hopkins

Old 09-15-2011, 03:04 AM
David Groos

Is it standard practice to name your clients by MAC address in the lts.conf file?* I heard it speeds things up.

For example at the bottom of my lts.conf file I've got all clients named.* Here are a few lines...

[00:02:A5:8F:6D4]

HOSTNAME=g-1a

[00:02:A5:90:59:98]

HOSTNAME=g-1b

[00:02:A5:90:56:FB]

HOSTNAME=g-2a

David G

Old 09-15-2011, 09:38 PM
john

Hi David,

On Wed, Sep 14, 2011 at 8:04 PM, David Groos <djgroos@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is it standard practice to name your clients by MAC address in the lts.conf
> file?* I heard it speeds things up.

I don't see the "HOSTNAME" directive in the lts.conf man pages. Are
there "hidden lts.conf options?"

Also I've never been clear on how to give ltsp clients hostnames. We use
a Windows DHCP server and let the clients grab whatever address they
can. How do you set hostnames for TC's?

Thanks!

John

Old 09-15-2011, 09:48 PM
john

Hi all,

To reply to myself it seems like these options either aren't
documented in lts.conf man pages that ship with Ubuntu 10.04 or aren't
available. I see that the Hostname option is
documented here:

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/natty/man5/lts.conf.5.html

I think I'll give it a shot and see if the options available under Lucid.

I sort of wonder if running Ubuntu LTS for LTSP is a bad idea. There
is always some bug that we have to live with or work around that's
been fixed in more recent versions that won't be backported. Of course
we REALLY don't want to go to gnome3. sigh.

John