Old 09-06-2011, 08:45 PM
Jim Christiansen

Default Help! 10.04 LTSP configuration using only one nic

Hello,�
I've just had an aging server fail to start up and need to get to the bottom of another problem on another new server running Ubuntu 10.04 LTSP before attempting to do another install. �We lost one server in the Library late last June- rgreat timing and another one just today that served my classroom has failed to start up- �Both are 5 years or older.

My old Centos LTSP server for our Library died near the end of June. �My students had been playing with a new 10.04 64 setup and had it serving 32 bit fat clients, but really slowly. �One of the students altered something in iptables to make it function and I wonder if this could be the problem. �Grepping my history for iptables shows:

�49� sudo iptables --table nat --append POSTROUTING --jump MASQUERADE� --source�192.168.1.0/24

�50� sudo sh -c 'iptables-save > /etc/ltsp/nat'

This was done, apparently, to allow the system to function with one nic.

The system is sitting on a 100 megabit network with 26 clients. �Only 1/3 to 2/3 of the clients will boot right off. �The others will linger with 4 four little streaming dots in the middle of the screen for minutes until the log in screen appears or they fail with errors: �

"echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/hung_task_timeout_secs" disables this message.INFO: task modprobe:436 blocked for more than 120 seconds."echo 0 >... same as 1st line

INFO: task udev-configure-:936 blocked for more than 120 seconds."echo 0 > ...same as�1st lineINO: taskhdparm:1020 blocked for more than 120 seconds."echo 0 > ...same as 1st line

INFO: task S32ltsp-client-:1027 blocked for more than 120 seconds.
It doesn't seem any better it I boot fewer clients or more... They just don't all start up reliably.

The clients run awesomely once students get logged on.
Does anyone know what the problem could be? �I'm wondering if the natting is the problem or if I have other issues.

Thanks everyone,
Jim

Old 09-07-2011, 02:14 AM
David Hopkins

*
You
don't mention if you also then alter the networking interface to
include using the /etc/ltsp/nat file but I thought this setting was for port
forwarding in a 2 NIC setup. e.g. thin clients on 192.168 subnet with
the main network on say 10. so that local apps like firefox would work
correctly.* see: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UbuntuLTSP/ThinClientHowtoNAT

I don't see how port forwarding would be useful for a single
NIC with Fat clients.* With only a 100Mbit link, I'd think that it could
get overloaded once you get several clients mounting the image. Do you
have a switch with a gigabit port for the ltsp server available?

Sincerely,

Dave Hopkins

Newark Charter School

Old 09-07-2011, 03:14 PM
David Groos

What hardware are your fat clients running on?* Is there a difference in RAM between the good and poorly functioning clients?* I've seen these symptoms before I upgraded the RAM on all my (Pentium 4's, 2.4-2.8 GHz) fat clients to 1 gig.

Alkis insists that a regular PC (with sufficient RAM) works well as the LTSP server IF you are using fat clients.* In his labs the teachers actually uses the server as their classroom PC!* Makes the whole thing more affordable and practical.

Do you mind sharing why you chose to use a single NIC setup?*

Good luck,
David G

Old 09-07-2011, 03:35 PM
Jim Christiansen

Good morning, David. *Thank you for the help and any ideas. *My clients are (year 2006) Dell GX620s with 3.6 ghz p4s and all with 1 gig ram.
I've never used two nics in any of my other LTSP setups as I had always kept them behind IPCOP firewalls. *I haven't had to apply iptable rules for years and really don't understand what the 1st history command, #49, is doing. *There is no mention of eth0 or what ever.

I don't know who Alkis is, but is he running his setup on a 100 megabit lan? *Could the fat image be slimmed down I wonder?
I've just talked to the VP and he says that money is tight to purchase gig switches. *I had been thinking of yanking the 20 100 mbit switches and swapping in new gig switches.

I'll be in a pickle here pretty soon. *Thanks again, *Jim

Old 09-07-2011, 03:49 PM
Jim Christiansen

Hi Dave. *Looking back I haven't found any evidence that**/etc/ltsp/nat has been altered since issuing sudo sh -c 'iptables-save > /etc/ltsp/nat', nor do I know how to*alter the networking interface to use the change- but- I have been wondering if this somehow, is what is causing the slow-down.

Clients wouldn't boot from the server before issuing those two commands. *They did afterwards, but not reliably. *Should I install a second nic on the system then re-install ltsp?? *I wonder... if I should buy gigz switches or reinstall ltsp using 2 nics... *Maybe a gig switch or two to start would be easiest.

Do ltsp fat clients work on 100 megabit networks or are all of the installs in schools use gig networks?
Thank you for taking time to think about this.

Jim

Old 09-07-2011, 04:18 PM
Gavin McCullagh

Hi,

On Tue, 06 Sep 2011, Jim Christiansen wrote:

> My old Centos LTSP server for our Library died near the end of June. My
> students had been playing with a new 10.04 64 setup and had it serving 32
> bit fat clients, but really slowly. One of the students altered something
> in iptables to make it function and I wonder if this could be the problem.
> Grepping my history for iptables shows:
>
> 49 sudo iptables --table nat --append POSTROUTING --jump MASQUERADE --source 192.168.1.0/24
> 50 sudo sh -c 'iptables-save > /etc/ltsp/nat'

The commands are to enable network address translation on routed traffic
which is going through the LTSP server and which is coming from the
192.168.1.0/24 subnet. The second command saves it so that it gets enabled
again after a reboot. If you open /etc/ltsp/nat you should see the full
firewall config.

> This was done, apparently, to allow the system to function with one nic.

If your LTSP server is a single-interface server and your router is a
separate unit, also on 192.168.1.0/24 which seems likely, then this is
probably not what you want to do. What I'd ordinarily suggest with 1
interface is to configure DHCP to point the clients at the router as
default gateway and let it do the NAT.

To fix this you could just comment out the nat command above from
/etc/ltsp/nat and reboot.

In fact, I'm not sure it's wise to run iptables at all on a 1-interface
LTSP server so you might want to comment out that entire file and reboot.

> The system is sitting on a 100 megabit network with 26 clients. Only 1/3 to
> 2/3 of the clients will boot right off. The others will linger with 4 four
> little streaming dots in the middle of the screen for minutes until the log
> in screen appears or they fail with errors:
>
> "echo 0 > /proc/sys/kernel/hung_task_timeout_secs" disables this message.
> INFO: task modprobe:436 blocked for more than 120 seconds.
> "echo 0 >... same as 1st line
> INFO: task udev-configure-:936 blocked for more than 120 seconds.
> "echo 0 > ...same as 1st line
> INO: taskhdparm:1020 blocked for more than 120 seconds.
> "echo 0 > ...same as 1st line
> INFO: task S32ltsp-client-:1027 blocked for more than 120 seconds.

So it appears that:

1. The initial PXE DHCP works.
2. The kernel loads over the network and a root filesystem (possibly
initramfs or an NFS root) is mounted.
3. The running kernel is trying to load do load a module (modprobe) which
is timing out. At a guess, perhaps it's not getting a response from the
remote filesystem.

If you can work out the IP address of this client and run

sudo tcpdump -n -i eth0 host <ip_of_client>

you may be able to see the packets being sent to the server from the client
and get an idea what's going wrong. You might see that the firewall is
blocking incoming NFS mount attempts.

Also look at the logs on the server for anything relevant.

> It doesn't seem any better it I boot fewer clients or more... They just
> don't all start up reliably.

Hmm. Unreliable suggests something more like you're hitting a limit (ie
some work until you hit that limit), or something is working contingent on
a bit of luck. One possibility is that some NFS connections are getting
through the firewall rules and some aren't. NFS uses a range of ports, so
trying disabling iptables is worth a go.

Let us know how you get on.

Gavin

Old 09-07-2011, 05:33 PM
David Groos

On Sep 7, 2011, at 10:35 AM, Jim Christiansen wrote:Good morning, David. *Thank you for the help and any ideas. *My clients are (year 2006) Dell GX620s with 3.6 ghz p4s and all with 1 gig ram.Better than anything I've got!

I've never used two nics in any of my other LTSP setups as I had always kept them behind IPCOP firewalls. *I haven't had to apply iptable rules for years and really don't understand what the 1st history command, #49, is doing. *There is no mention of eth0 or what ever.

I don't know who Alkis is, but is he running his setup on a 100 megabit lan? *Could the fat image be slimmed down I wonder?If you ever visit either irc: *#edubuntu or #ltsp during the hours of 6 AM and Midnight or beyond, Greek time, you probably have seen 'alkisg' there, and if you have asked for help either place, chances are good that he spent a good bit of time helping you. *He's both a dev and a teacher.
About the fat image being slimmed, he runs regular Ubuntu (I just asked him on the #edubuntu irc). *About the server he says:alkisg:For fat clients, any 5 year old pc with a bit of ram + disk will do[5:17pm]alkisg:The network speed is the greatest asset there[5:17pm]alkisg:For thin clients, you need cpu, ram, network, etc etc[5:18pm][5:20pm]alkisg:So, if he has some money to spare, tell him to go for 3 gb ram + 2 pci-e gigabit nics for the fat server.[5:21pm]
for fat server)
*
I've just talked to the VP and he says that money is tight to purchase gig switches. *I had been thinking of yanking the 20 100 mbit switches and swapping in new gig switches.There really needs to be at least 1, gig port, to connect the switch to the server. *alkis says of their setup:alkisg:We use switches either with 1 or 2 gigabit ports, or full gigabit switches

I'll be in a pickle here pretty soon. *Thanks again, *Jim

Good luck!David

Old 09-07-2011, 06:21 PM
Jim Christiansen

Hi David,
OK then. *I spent $300 of our non-existent budget money and just bought 4 1 gig switches and borrowed 2 others. *I started off with the 2 borrowed switches and things were so dramatically better I bought the other 4. *The computers all boot quickly and maybe our troubles have been resolved by just upgrading the switches. *It seemed a few people felt that gig lans were necessary and this I could check out quickly.

I may still have some wierd issues with the iptables commands so I'll need to sort out what is going on there.
Logons work quickly but Openoffice takes an uncomfortable length of time to start. *Is this lag- starting programs- typical with fat clients?

Thanks everyone for the help.

Soooo... *onto my last hurlde. *Does anyone know how to publish a bottle using Crossover, inside a fat client image??? * I have one splendid old CAD package I use that I've always run using Crossover and I still need to get it up and running.

Thanks again

Old 09-07-2011, 06:57 PM
Mike Biancaniello

sorry, forgot to reply-to-all ...

I'm not sure why you would need iptables if you only have a 1-nic server and fat clients.
I just recently migrated from a 2-nic to a 1-nic setup and the ltsp server is the DHCP server for the entire LAN,
which means I need to specify the MAC addrs that I want to LTSP and then all others by default are just returned the IP info.

If
you only have 1 subnet on your one NIC, then as long as the LTSP dhcp
server returns network info that matches the server's own (not a second
network like in many of the examples), then you should be fine.

e.g.
In this config, each ltsp client receives an IP on the main LAN.
LocalApps and fat clients can run without any forwarding or NAT or iptables magic from the server.

mike@ltsp-server:~$ cat /etc/network/interfaces
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
* address 192.168.1.84
* netmask 255.255.255.0
* gateway 192.168.1.1

mike@kidbuntu:~$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
# Generated by NetworkManager
nameserver 192.168.1.53

mike@kidbuntu:~$ cat /etc/ltsp/dhcpd.conf
#
# Default LTSP dhcpd.conf config file.
#

authoritative;
ddns-update-style interim;
update-static-leases on;
option domain-name-servers 192.168.1.53;

subnet 192.168.1.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
* range 192.168.1.200 192.168.1.250;
* option broadcast-address 192.168.1.255;
* option routers 192.168.1.1;
* option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
}

group {
* #
* #* These are the hosts that are allowed to pxe-boot
* #
* option root-path "/opt/ltsp/i386";
* if substring( option vendor-class-identifier, 0, 9 ) = "PXEClient" {
*** filename "/ltsp/i386/pxelinux.0";
* } else {
*** filename "/ltsp/i386/nbi.img";
* }
* host kid1** { hardware ethernet 00:0d:56:8c:03:34;
*** option host-name "kidputer1";
*** ddns-hostname "kidputer1";
* }
* host kid2** { hardware ethernet 00:0d:56:a6:ff:f5;
*** option host-name "kidputer2";
*** ddns-hostname "kidputer2";
* }
}

Old 09-07-2011, 07:04 PM
Willem van der Most

Hi Jim,
Try LibreOffice instead. I find that it starts up a lot quicker than Open Office.
Cheers,
Willem
Op 7 sep 2011, om 20:21 heeft Jim Christiansen het volgende geschreven:Hi David,