Old 09-05-2011, 02:03 PM
"Todd O'Bryan"

Default Sabayon errors when I try tweaking Google Chrome

When I try saving a profile after doing some tweaks to Google Chrome, I get the

A fatal error has occurred. You can help us fix the problem by
sending the log in /etc/sabayon/sabayon-debug-log.conf to
http://bugzilla.gnome.org

error message. Unfortunately, there is no such file. In fact, there's
just a profiles directory in /etc/sabayon.

Any ideas how I might debug this or anyone have suggestions about how
to customize users' experiences without Sabayon?

Thanks!
Todd

Old 09-07-2011, 04:18 PM
David Groos

Hi Todd,
sigh... Managing students' computer-choices on classroom computers is, I think, currently the biggest un-met need of teachers using Edubuntu.* Back when Hardy/Jaunty was coming out, sbalneav and others worked very hard to bring sabayon up to working and it did work very well in Jaunty.* It was GREAT!* When I upgraded to Lucid I found that it didn't work and sbalneav was no longer working with Edubuntu so I stopped using it.* As explained by Jordan M., the design of Sabayon is inherently complex and difficult to maintain.

Then, Edubuntu Menu Editor came around thanks to many, especially Marc G. at Revolution Linux, effort. I wasn't able to get it to work but I think that I didn't try hard enough as Marc is right there to help as needed to make it work.* I'm not sure of it's current status but I would recommend giving it a try especially because of Marc's support.* Check here: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Edubuntu/Documentation/Edubuntu-menueditor for more info.

I always encourage people to join and post to all 3 lists because each list has specific and not always overlapping expertise, thus also include: edubuntu-devel@lists.ubuntu.com,* ubuntu-education@lists.ubuntu.com.* So, might want to post to more lists to get a wider audience.

To manage classroom computers I tried iTALC for many many years (well, 2.5 years but it seems more) with little satisfaction and then sch-scripts, a series of scripts that do much of what iTALC does, reliably and more responsively.* Sch-scripts is pretty much in beta mode if you aren't a Greek school for which they were designed, but they work well enough for me at this time.

I'll be interested to hear how you end up addressing this need--please post your experiences to the list.* I too will probably be trying to set up edubuntu menu editor soon, as well.* Will share what I find out.

David G

Old 09-09-2011, 03:17 AM
"Todd O'Bryan"

I ended up setting up a new user, logging into that user, setting
everything the way I wanted it to be, and then copying that home
folder into /etc/skel. It seems to work okay, except that I have to
figure out how to mount a Resources folder I set up on the server on
the fat clients. Hopefully, I'll figure that out this weekend.

It also seems that students can't change their passwords through LDAP,
even though I think I activated pam_passwd and pam_ldap (or the actual
packages those are close to the right names for). Again, a weekend
project.

Todd