Old 09-02-2011, 04:07 AM
Joseph Bishay

Default Thin clients not booting - help?

Hello,

I hope everyone is doing well.

I have a cleanly installed Edubuntu 11.04 server in the classic 2-NIC
format. I realized after installation, but before I tried to connect
any thin clients, that it was better to reverse the NICs so the Intel
one was running the thin clients. I was able to successfully do so
via modification of /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules and
reversing the two lines.

Now I wanted to try to book a thin client. Took a switch and plugged
the LTSP NIC from the server and a thin client into the switch. And
the thin client fails to PXE boot -- can't find the DHCPD server.

Ideally I'd like eth0 to be the Internet NIC and eth1 to be the LTSP
NIC on the 10.x.x.x. subnet.

So I hunted around and find that the dhcpd3 service is not running.
Every time I try to run it on the server I get:

sudo service isc-dhcp-server start:
* Starting ISC DHCP server dhcpd
* check syslog for diagnostics. [fail]

Checking syslog I get:

eduLTSP dhcpd: Wrote 0 leases to leases file.
eduLTSP dhcpd:
eduLTSP dhcpd: No subnet declaration for eth1 (no IPv4 addresses).
eduLTSP dhcpd: ** Ignoring requests on eth1. If this is not what
eduLTSP dhcpd: you want, please write a subnet declaration
eduLTSP dhcpd: in your dhcpd.conf file for the network segment
eduLTSP dhcpd: to which interface eth1 is attached. **
eduLTSP dhcpd:
eduLTSP dhcpd:
eduLTSP dhcpd: Not configured to listen on any interfaces!

I've tried to search online and tried a bunch of steps but been unable
to resolve this! Here are the relevant configuration files:
---
jbishay@i7-eduLTSP:~$ cat /etc/networks
# symbolic names for networks, see networks(5) for more information
link-local 169.254.0.0
---
jbishay@i7-eduLTSP:/etc/network$ cat interfaces
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0

#auto eth1

iface eth1 inet static
# address 192.168.0.254
address 10.0.0.254
netmask 255.255.255.0
broadcast 10.0.0.255
---
jbishay@i7-eduLTSP:/etc/ltsp$ cat dhcpd.conf
#
# Default LTSP dhcpd.conf config file.

authoritative;

subnet 10.0.0.0 netmask 255.255.255.0 {
range 10.0.0.1 10.0.0.250;
option domain-name "edultsp.stgr.org";
option domain-name-servers 192.168.1.1;
option broadcast-address 10.0.0.255;
option routers 192.168.1.1;
# next-server 192.168.0.1;
# get-lease-hostnames true;
option subnet-mask 255.255.255.0;
option root-path "/opt/ltsp/i386";
if substring( option vendor-class-identifier, 0, 9 ) = "PXEClient" {
filename "/ltsp/i386/pxelinux.0";
} else {
filename "/ltsp/i386/nbi.img";
}
}
---
jbishay@i7-eduLTSP:/etc/default$ cat isc-dhcp-server
# Defaults for dhcp initscript
# sourced by /etc/init.d/dhcp
# installed at /etc/default/isc-dhcp-server by the maintainer scripts
#
# This is a POSIX shell fragment
#
# On what interfaces should the DHCP server (dhcpd) serve DHCP requests?
# Separate multiple interfaces with spaces, e.g. "eth0 eth1".
INTERFACES="eth1"
---

I believe that is all the relevant files-- if I missed something
please just tell me and I'll post it here!

So I'm at a loss -- what do you recommend?

Thanks!
Joseph