-   -   authenticating to alternate server (http://www.linux-archive.org/edubuntu-user/561-authenticating-alternate-server.html)

"Randall Swift" 11-19-2007 03:00 PM

authenticating to alternate server

I have a edubuntu 7.10 server serving 30 terminals. I need them to
authenticate to an alternate samb/ldap server. I have put the settings in
fstab and in the export file on the pdc. The terminal will not
authenticate. They come back with wrong password. What else do I need to
do? Thanks

Randy Swift
Network Administrator
Leavitt Area High School
Turner, Maine 04282
(207)225-3533
swift@msad52.k12.me.us

Karl Goetz 11-19-2007 08:42 PM

On Mon, 2007-11-19 at 11:00 -0500, Randall Swift wrote:
> I have a edubuntu 7.10 server serving 30 terminals. I need them to
> authenticate to an alternate samb/ldap server. I have put the settings in
> fstab and in the export file on the pdc. The terminal will not
> authenticate. They come back with wrong password. What else do I need to
> do? Thanks

look at libpam-ldap and libpam-smb
kk

--
Karl Goetz,
Debian user / Ubuntu contributor / gNewSense contributor

"Jim Kronebusch" 11-20-2007 03:04 PM

authenticating to alternate server

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 11:00:03 -0500, Randall Swift wrote
> I have a edubuntu 7.10 server serving 30 terminals. I need them to
> authenticate to an alternate samb/ldap server. I have put the settings in
> fstab and in the export file on the pdc. The terminal will not
> authenticate. They come back with wrong password. What else do I need to
> do? Thanks

It sounds like you are just setting up an export of /home, is this correct? In order to
authenticate users you will need to setup ldap on the primary server, then you need to
set the workstation to authenticate to ldap, this is completely different than mounting
/home.

Here is a document that may provide you some help:

http://www.1-cs.com/ubuntu_ldap_howto.txt

Hope that helps,
Jim

"David Trask" 11-21-2007 12:13 PM

"Randall Swift" <swift@msad52.org> writes:
> I have a edubuntu 7.10 server serving 30 terminals. I need them to
>authenticate to an alternate samb/ldap server. I have put the settings in
>fstab and in the export file on the pdc. The terminal will not
>authenticate. They come back with wrong password. What else do I need to
>do? Thanks

Randy....did you download smbldap-installer to the Edubuntu server and run
./smbldap ldapclient ? That will install and help you set up the bits
for authenticating to the Samba/LDAP server

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Director
Vassalboro Community School
dtrask@vcsvikings.org
(207)923-3100

"Randall Swift" 11-21-2007 04:27 PM

"David Trask" <dtrask@vcsvikings.org> writes:
>"Randall Swift" <swift@msad52.org> writes:
>> I have a edubuntu 7.10 server serving 30 terminals. I need them to
>>authenticate to an alternate samb/ldap server. I have put the settings in
>>fstab and in the export file on the pdc. The terminal will not
>>authenticate. They come back with wrong password. What else do I need to
>>do? Thanks
>
>Randy....did you download smbldap-installer to the Edubuntu server and run
>./smbldap ldapclient ? That will install and help you set up the bits
>for authenticating to the Samba/LDAP server
>
>David N. Trask
>Technology Teacher/Director
>Vassalboro Community School
>dtrask@vcsvikings.org
>(207)923-3100

I did that, the problem now is my server hangs on reboot at "loading
kernel log daemon" and will not go any further. It has only done this
since I ran smbldap ldap client. I turned off ACPI and it made no
difference.

Randy Swift
Network Administrator
Leavitt Area High School
Turner, Maine 04282
(207)225-3533
swift@msad52.k12.me.us

"R. Scott Belford" 11-21-2007 05:37 PM

authenticating to alternate server

Randall

Please check both your /etc/ldap.conf settings and your
/etc/ldap/ldap.conf settings. Note that one of the two has not been
modified. If you are using either the smbldap-installer script (is this
updated for Gutsy?) or Jim's how-to,

http://www.1-cs.com/ubuntu_ldap_howto.txt

neither will work (in my experience) until you edit one of these two
files by hand. I am due to make some screenshots and updated docs on this.

--scott

--
R. Scott Belford
Founder/Executive Director

"Randall Swift" 11-25-2007 10:42 PM

authenticating to alternate server

How can I get into the system to check these settings? The server hangs
during boot at "loading kernel log daemon" and will not go any further.
Help. Thanks

Randy Swift
Network Administrator
Leavitt Area High School
Turner, Maine 04282
(207)225-3533
swift@msad52.k12.me.us

"R. Scott Belford" 11-26-2007 01:30 AM

Randall Swift wrote:
> How can I get into the system to check these settings? The server hangs
> during boot at "loading kernel log daemon" and will not go any further.
> Help. Thanks

Press esc at Grub and choose rescue mode. Make the changes, then type
init 5.

--scott

"Randall Swift" 11-26-2007 12:42 PM

authenticating to alternate server

"R. Scott Belford" <scott@hosef.org> writes:
>Randall Swift wrote:
>> How can I get into the system to check these settings? The server hangs
>> during boot at "loading kernel log daemon" and will not go any further.
>> Help. Thanks
>
>Press esc at Grub and choose rescue mode. Make the changes, then type
>init 5.
>
>--scott

I have checked everything and still no luck. It still hangs at "starting
kernel log daemon". I am starting to loose my hair. I was under the
impression that edubuntu 7.10 was suppose to come all ready to setup users
to authenticate to a seperate samba/ldap server. What happened? Is the
smbldap-insttaller not able to work with 7.10? I also tried Jim's How to.
I need to get this working ASAP or I am switching back to fedora. Sorry, I
needed to vent. Thanks for the help so far.

Randy Swift
Network Administrator
Leavitt Area High School
Turner, Maine 04282
(207)225-3533
swift@msad52.k12.me.us

"Jim Kronebusch" 11-26-2007 04:34 PM

authenticating to alternate server

On Mon, 26 Nov 2007 08:42:00 -0500, Randall Swift wrote
> "R. Scott Belford" <scott@hosef.org> writes:
> >Randall Swift wrote:
> >> How can I get into the system to check these settings? The server hangs
> >> during boot at "loading kernel log daemon" and will not go any further.
> >> Help. Thanks
> >
> >Press esc at Grub and choose rescue mode. Make the changes, then type
> >init 5.
> >
> >--scott
>
> I have checked everything and still no luck. It still hangs at "starting
> kernel log daemon". I am starting to loose my hair. I was under the
> impression that edubuntu 7.10 was suppose to come all ready to setup users
> to authenticate to a seperate samba/ldap server. What happened? Is the
> smbldap-insttaller not able to work with 7.10? I also tried Jim's How to.
> I need to get this working ASAP or I am switching back to fedora. Sorry, I
> needed to vent. Thanks for the help so far.

I have updated the howtos. There is http://www.1-cs.com/feisty_ubuntu_ldap_howto.txt
and http://www.1-cs.com/gutsy_ubuntu_ldap_howto.txt. The Gutsy version has a couple
small changes in steps 8 and 10.

To fix your setup boot into recovery mode. Run ldap-auth-config and answer the
questions as in step 8 of the Ubuntu Gutsy howto. The last question will be for
encryption, choose md5. Then verify /etc/nsswitch.conf settings as in step 9 (be
certain files is before ldap), /etc/ldap.conf as in step 10, and /etc/ldap/ldap.conf as
in step 11. Then double check all 4 /etc/pam.d files as in step 12.

When you are certain everything is a match run "id username" at the command line where
username is a valid user from your ldap server, and do the same with "getent passwd
username". The id command should spit out that username and all the groups they are
part of. And getent passwd should spit out the uid/gid and home directory locations.
Also you can run "getent group groupname" where groupname is a valid group on your ldap
server. If those work you should be able to login. If not, something might be broken
on your ldap server.

Hope that helps,
Jim