Old 11-27-2007, 02:48 AM
"David Trask"

Default authenticating to alternate server

"Randall Swift" <swift@msad52.org> writes:
>I did that, the problem now is my server hangs on reboot at "loading
>kernel log daemon" and will not go any further. It has only done this
>since I ran smbldap ldap client. I turned off ACPI and it made no
>difference.

Is the samba-ldap server working OK? Just trying to get my bearings here
and figure exactly what is failing.

David N. Trask
Technology Teacher/Director
Vassalboro Community School
dtrask@vcsvikings.org
(207)923-3100

Old 11-27-2007, 02:56 AM
"David Trask"

"Randall Swift" <swift@msad52.org> writes:
>How can I get into the system to check these settings? The server hangs
>during boot at "loading kernel log daemon" and will not go any further.
>Help. Thanks

go into single user mode

To get onto a machine using single user mode, simply reboot it. When the
machine restarts, you should either be put right into the GRUB menu if
it?s a dual boot machine. If it?s not a dual boot machine, you should have
an opportunity to enter the GRUB menu by hitting the ESC key.

Once you?re in the GRUB menu, you?ll have a list of your latest kernels,
and their recovery modes below. You?ll start off on the latest, which is
what you want. Type the ?e? key.

This will bring you to a sub-menu. You?ll be on the top selection which is
root (some hard drive info in this space). Use the arrow keys to go down 1
selection to the kernel option. Again, hit the ?e? key.

Now you?ll see the command that GRUB will use to start your box. It will
look something like this:

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.15-26-386 root=/dev/hda1 ro quiet splash

You?ll want to add the word ?single? to the end so it looks like this:

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.15-26-386 root=/dev/hda1 ro quiet splash
single

Now hit the enter key once. Then type ?b? to boot the machine.

You?ll go through what looks like the normal boot process, but find
yourself suddenly staring not at a graphical user interface, but a command
line. Welcome to being root. What now?

Now go in and have a look around and see if you can find the issue. I've
emailed Matt to see if he can chime in on this and help out.

Old 11-27-2007, 11:28 AM
"David Trask"

"Randall Swift" <swift@msad52.org> writes:
>I hope I do not need to
>blow away my samb/ldap server.

If you do...let me know first....I have some ideas for you to preserve all
the data. You will lose the user passwords, but then again as I've
mentioned in the past...when you move to enforced passwords that YOU
generate....life will become a lot easier for you...especially when it
comes to system rescue and user data ;-)

Old 11-27-2007, 12:09 PM
"Randall Swift"

"David Trask" <dtrask@vcsvikings.org> writes:
>"Randall Swift" <swift@msad52.org> writes:
>>I did that, the problem now is my server hangs on reboot at "loading
>>kernel log daemon" and will not go any further. It has only done this
>>since I ran smbldap ldap client. I turned off ACPI and it made no
>>difference.
>
>Is the samba-ldap server working OK? Just trying to get my bearings here
>and figure exactly what is failing.
>
>David N. Trask
>Technology Teacher/Director
>Vassalboro Community School
>dtrask@vcsvikings.org
>(207)923-3100

I have it working now, the minorfixes that were in Jim's how to solved the
problem.
http://www.1-cs.com/gutsy_ubuntu_ldap_howto.txt
the changes to step 8 and 10 solved it.
However, I still cannot use openoffice or firefox on the terminals. The
reason why I switched from fedora to edubuntu was to see if it would solve
the problems with OO and firefox, no luck. Thanks for all the help. I am
still trying to figure out the application issues. I hope I do not need to
blow away my samb/ldap server.

Randy Swift
Network Administrator
Leavitt Area High School
Turner, Maine 04282
(207)225-3533
swift@msad52.k12.me.us

Old 11-27-2007, 03:45 PM
"Randall Swift"

"David Trask" <dtrask@vcsvikings.org> writes:
>"Randall Swift" <swift@msad52.org> writes:
>>I hope I do not need to
>>blow away my samb/ldap server.
>

>If you do...let me know first....I have some ideas for you to preserve all
>the data. You will lose the user passwords, but then again as I've
>mentioned in the past...when you move to enforced passwords that YOU
>generate....life will become a lot easier for you...especially when it
>comes to system rescue and user data ;-)
>
>David N. Trask
>Technology Teacher/Director
>Vassalboro Community School
>dtrask@vcsvikings.org
>(207)923-3100

Since I could not get firefox to work on the terminals I installed opera.
I cannot get opera to work but here is what I discovered, when I click on
opera I get the following message: "it appers another instance of opera is
using the same configuration directory because its lock file is active:
/home/rswift/.opera/lock" I also can not save a file to openoffice. It
says I do not have the right permissions. I did chown my home directory
and it made no differnece to either. I have no problems when I am on a
windows machine. Is there some config file on the terminal that I might
have wrong that is screwing up permissions or how they are seen on the
samba/ldap server?

Randy Swift
Network Administrator
Leavitt Area High School
Turner, Maine 04282
(207)225-3533
swift@msad52.k12.me.us

Old 11-27-2007, 06:55 PM
"Jim Kronebusch"

> Since I could not get firefox to work on the terminals I installed opera.
> I cannot get opera to work but here is what I discovered, when I click on
> opera I get the following message: "it appers another instance of opera is
> using the same configuration directory because its lock file is active:
> /home/rswift/.opera/lock" I also can not save a file to openoffice. It
> says I do not have the right permissions. I did chown my home directory
> and it made no differnece to either. I have no problems when I am on a
> windows machine. Is there some config file on the terminal that I might
> have wrong that is screwing up permissions or how they are seen on the
> samba/ldap server?

I wonder if this is a problem with the NFS mount and not LDAP?

First run "id testuser" and "getent passwd testuser" from the client and let us know
what the results are (where testuser is an actual user that can log into the clients).

Also, is the LDAP server running on the same server as the clients, or is there a
separate authentication server? And are the /home directories stored on the LTSP
server, or is there a separate nfs server exporting /home? If a separate server is
exporting /home then send the /etc/fstab contents of the LTSP server and possibly the
/etc/exports contents of the nfs server.

In my experience if id and getent work, the ldap authentication and server are fine.
After that it is group membership, permissions, file system mounts, etc that are the
problem.

Jim