Old 02-14-2008, 08:05 PM
"Jim Kronebusch"

Default Forgot to unmount /proc and /sys from chroot!!! HELP

On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 15:56:47 -0500, Jim Kronebusch wrote
> Without thinking I did a "sudo rm -R -f /opt/ltsp/lf_i386" to remove my chroot
> and start again. I forgot to unmount /proc and /sys from there before doing
> so. I think I am about to experience very bad things due to this.
>
> Can anyone give me some good advice to quickly rebuild this?

I luckily did get a bunch of errors stating operation not permitted, so for all I know
nothing has been deleted. Things are still running seemingly okay.

Can anyone shed some light on what my stupidity might lead to?

Thanks,
Jim

Old 02-14-2008, 09:06 PM
Karl Goetz

On Thu, 2008-02-14 at 16:05 -0500, Jim Kronebusch wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 15:56:47 -0500, Jim Kronebusch wrote
> > Without thinking I did a "sudo rm -R -f /opt/ltsp/lf_i386" to remove my chroot
> > and start again. I forgot to unmount /proc and /sys from there before doing
> > so. I think I am about to experience very bad things due to this.
> >
> > Can anyone give me some good advice to quickly rebuild this?
>
> I luckily did get a bunch of errors stating operation not permitted, so for all I know
> nothing has been deleted. Things are still running seemingly okay.
>
> Can anyone shed some light on what my stupidity might lead to?

you should be ok - i regularly do the same thing in my dev chroots :$
kk

--
Karl Goetz,
Debian user / Ubuntu contributor / gNewSense contributor

Old 02-15-2008, 08:14 AM
Gavin McCullagh

Hi,

On Thu, 14 Feb 2008, Jim Kronebusch wrote:

> On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 15:56:47 -0500, Jim Kronebusch wrote
> > Without thinking I did a "sudo rm -R -f /opt/ltsp/lf_i386" to remove my chroot
> > and start again. I forgot to unmount /proc and /sys from there before doing
> > so. I think I am about to experience very bad things due to this.
> >
> > Can anyone give me some good advice to quickly rebuild this?
>
> I luckily did get a bunch of errors stating operation not permitted, so
> for all I know nothing has been deleted. Things are still running
> seemingly okay.

I don't think you can delete much if anything in /proc and I suspect you
can't in /sys either. /dev/ would have been more of a problem, but might
be fixed by a reboot or running makedev.

Gavin

Old 02-15-2008, 01:19 PM
"Jim Kronebusch"

On Fri, 15 Feb 2008 09:14:32 +0000, Gavin McCullagh wrote
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 14 Feb 2008, Jim Kronebusch wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 15:56:47 -0500, Jim Kronebusch wrote
> > > Without thinking I did a "sudo rm -R -f /opt/ltsp/lf_i386" to remove my chroot
> > > and start again. I forgot to unmount /proc and /sys from there before doing
> > > so. I think I am about to experience very bad things due to this.
> > >
> > > Can anyone give me some good advice to quickly rebuild this?
> >
> > I luckily did get a bunch of errors stating operation not permitted, so
> > for all I know nothing has been deleted. Things are still running
> > seemingly okay.
>
> I don't think you can delete much if anything in /proc and I suspect you
> can't in /sys either. /dev/ would have been more of a problem, but might
> be fixed by a reboot or running makedev.
>
> Gavin

Thanks for the re-assurance.

Jim

Old 02-15-2008, 01:29 PM
"David Van Assche"

Yeah, indeed, you can reboot and that will unmount proc or/and sys. I've left it mounted various times, and realised during the ltsp-build-image stage, resulting in lots of nasty error messages, but no lasting damage. When it happenned, I restarted the computer, prayed a bit, and everything was a ok.

David