Old 02-14-2008, 01:00 PM
"Meckes, Justin"

Default add Apps to computers without Internet

Hello,

Forgive me if this was covered in an earlier post. I scanned the archives but only found some complications in Bolivia for those without Internet.

I'm looking to download Apps on one machine, copy them to a flash drive and take them to community centers all across my city.

I didn't find the Apps on the File System and I'm unsure that I would be able to install copies of them if I did. Any solutions? Or will I be forced to bring each machine back to the main office when I want new educational games for the participants.

Thank you,

Justin Meckes
Computer Program Director

Raleigh Parks and Recreation Department
820 Clay St.
Raleigh, NC 27605
Office Line: 919-831-6165
justin.meckes@ci.raleigh.nc.us

“E-mail correspondence to and from this address may be subject to the North Carolina Public Records Law and may be disclosed to third parties by an authorized City or Law Enforcement official.”

Old 02-14-2008, 01:26 PM
"Daniel J. Summers"

Meckes, Justin wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Forgive me if this was covered in an earlier post. I scanned the archives but only found some complications in Bolivia for those without Internet.
>
> I'm looking to download Apps on one machine, copy them to a flash drive and take them to community centers all across my city.
>
> I didn't find the Apps on the File System and I'm unsure that I would be able to install copies of them if I did. Any solutions? Or will I be forced to bring each machine back to the main office when I want new educational games for the participants.

No - just download the .deb files for the applications you want, then
copy those to your flash drive. On the target machine, open a terminal,
and run the following command...

sudo dpkg -i /path/to/flash/drive/programname.deb

If you have multiple packages that have to be installed (dependencies,
etc.), you can list more than one .deb file on the command.

--
Daniel J. Summers
Owner, DJS Consulting

GEEKCODE 3.12 GCS/IT d s-:+ a C++ L++ E--- W++ N++ o? K- w !O M--
V PS+ PE++ Y? !PGP t+ 5? X+ R* tv b+ DI++ D+ G- e h---- r+++ y++++

Old 02-14-2008, 02:06 PM
"William Kinghorn"

Hi Justin,

*
If you want to do this on cd or dvd, use aptoncd which is in the repositories.

*

aptoncd

*
Installation disc creator for packages downloaded via APT

APT removable repository creator and package backup tool for Debian based

systems.

*
This tool will allow you to create a media (CD or DVD) to use to install

software via APT in a non-connected machine, as well upgrade and install

the same set of softwares in several machines with no need to re-download

the packages again.

*
For more information, visit http://aptoncd.sourceforge.net

*
William

Old 02-14-2008, 07:47 PM
Uwe Geercken

hello justin,

I have the same problem. but I had a machine with good internet
access. so I created a mirror: I downloaded about 20GB of data from a
site and put it on an external disk I had. it contains all packages
from main, restricted, universe and multiverse repositories. then I
added following line to my /etc/apt/sources.list:

deb file:///media/edisk2/transfer/mirror/ gutsy main restricted
universe multiverse

now I can install almost any program on all clients without having to
go to the internet.

I have a good description of how to do this in details, but it is only
in german. but there is a lot of information on the net.

rgds,

uwe