Old 07-18-2011, 05:11 PM
Ryan Kelley

Default Cloning/Imaging

Would like to talk to someone that has mass deployed Edubuntu on Acer Netbooks in a K-12 school district.* We are running into many problems using FOG.* Our main issue is after the image is clone all we see on the screen is a blinking cursor.*
It appears that FOG and Ghost do not work well with Edubuntu.* Can you please tell me what others are using?

*

Thank you,

*

Ryan Kelley

Belding Area Schools

kelleyr@bas-k12.org

*

Confidentiality Notice:

This transmission, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and legally privileged information. Any unauthorized use, disclosure, copying, distribution, review or action taken in reliance on the
contents of these documents is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message and any attachments. This statement is in accordance with the Belding Area Schools
Board of Education Policy, the users Acceptable Use Agreement and the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. 2510-2521.

Old 07-18-2011, 05:15 PM
"Rippl, Steve"

Kickstart for the initial vanilla install (+ puppet client) and then Puppet takes over for configuration.

On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 10:11 AM, Ryan Kelley <kelleyr@bas-k12.org> wrote:

[...]

Steve Rippl
Technology Director
Woodland Public Schools
360 841 2730

Old 07-18-2011, 05:55 PM
Caroline Meeks

There is a group of teachers/schools in Maine who you might want to talk to.
http://open1to1.org/

On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 1:11 PM, Ryan Kelley <kelleyr@bas-k12.org> wrote:

[...]

Solution Grove
Caroline@SolutionGrove.com

617-500-3488 - Office
505-213-3268 - Fax

Old 07-18-2011, 07:53 PM
Andy Figueroa

Clonezilla?

My own approach is "tar czpf /backup/path/edubuntuclone1.tgz ."

Do this from the installation root directory (works better when the system
to be cloned is shut down, boot from rescue image of your choice) and you
end up with a single file to be restored anyplace else. Change hostname and
so on to match your intent.

Restore with "tar xzpf edubuntuclone1.tgz" into the new, blank, filesystem root.

Andy Figueroa

Old 07-18-2011, 08:03 PM
Peter k

If I remember my clonezilla experiences correctly, I think the blinking cursor problem was a symptom of hard drive geometry differences. IOW, look for problems associated with pata vs sata, size of the hdd, or where the partitions begin/end.

Or, maybe look here: They suggest using sysprep before cloning windows:
http://www.edugeek.net/forums/o-s-deployment/35425-fog-awesome.html

-peter

Old 07-19-2011, 11:04 AM
Theo Schmidt

Ryan Kelley wrote:

Would like to talk to someone that has mass deployed Edubuntu on Acer
Netbooks in a K-12 school district. We are running into many problems
using FOG. Our main issue is after the image is clone all we see on
the screen is a blinking cursor. It appears that FOG and Ghost do not
work well with Edubuntu. Can you please tell me what others are using?

I usually use dd, but it is easy to make mistakes. I have also used this
method with complete success:

http://www.greenfly.org/tips/filesystem_migration.html

However, these were for single copies. A friend of mine devised a method
using scripts and rsync to clone drives in a geometric progression, i.e.
first one drive to two, then two to four, and so on. Her used this to
update his school computers.

Cheers, Theo Schmidt

Old 07-20-2011, 03:03 AM
Peter k

Theo's filesystem_migration page triggered a memory. A couple years ago I also tried to use Norton Ghost to clone and had blinking cursor issues. The problem was ghost didn't support cloning grub which I was using for my double-boot system. In fact, I'm under the impression that ghost may not work with linux at all. To fix it I booted each computer with knoppix and reinstalled grub (as in Theo's webpage).
Now I use clonezilla for one-off jobs and the drbl live cd for entire labs.http://clonezilla.org/clonezilla-SE.php
-peter