Old 02-13-2008, 11:05 PM

Default EDUBUNTO DHCP Server Not Working Correctly

hi all,
i installed edubuntu
7.10 on a server at a school. before connecting any clients, i then installed
the 2nd cd's application software.

with the help of
some forum members, i got the clients to the point of looking for an ip address,
but the response was that the dhcp server wasn't giving out any ip
addresses.

i logged into the
server and tried the following in the terminal: "sudo /etc/init.d/dhcp3-server
restart"

i was expecting "ok"
dhcp isn't running correctly.

when i look under
services, dhcp is checked which indicates it should be
running.

does anyone have any
idea what is wrong or how i can troubleshoot this?

tia...

Old 02-13-2008, 11:33 PM
"Mike White"

To check your config file:

Sudo gedit /etc/ltsp/dhcpd.conf

Michael White
Technology Coordinator
mwhite@bradshawchristian.com
P. (916) 996-1203

__

Old 02-14-2008, 12:31 AM
Steve Jackson

And to see what DHCP is telling you as it tries to start up:

grep dhcpd* /var/log/daemon.log

> 7.10 on a server at a school. before connecting any clients, i then
> installed
> the 2nd cd's application software.
>
> with the help of
> some forum members, i got the clients to the point of looking for an
ip
> address,
> but the response was that the dhcp server wasn't giving out any ip
> addresses.
>
> i logged into the
> server and tried the following in the terminal: "sudo
/etc/init.d/dhcp3-
> server
> restart"
>
> i was expecting "ok"
to me
> that
> dhcp isn't running correctly.
>
> when i look under
> services, dhcp is checked which indicates it should be
> running.
>
> does anyone have any
> idea what is wrong or how i can troubleshoot this?
>
> tia...

__

Old 02-14-2008, 09:53 AM
Oliver Grawert

hi,
Am Mittwoch, den 13.02.2008, 16:05 -0800 schrieb
operationsengineer1@yahoo.com:
> does anyone have any
> idea what is wrong or how i can troubleshoot this?
can you send us the output of: ifconfig -a
and your /etc/ltsp/dhcpd.conf ?

the dhcpd config needs to match a static IP from /etc/network/interfaces
dhcpd does test that (as a saftey net) unless you disable that feature
by forcing it to use a specific interface (regardless if that breaks or
not)

ciao
oli

Old 02-16-2008, 04:23 PM

sorry for the top post - i think i know why i'm having problems.* i install edubuntu before i had my switch set up so it couldn't configure the network.* i'm going to try and reinstall edubuntu with the switch hooked up and on and i'm hoping edubuntu can auto configure everything from there.

i'll follow up and let everyone know how it went tomorrow.

thanks,

oe1

EDUBUNTO DHCP Server Not Working Correctly

And to see what DHCP is telling you as it tries to start up:

grep dhcpd* /var/log/daemon.log

On Wed, 2008-02-13 at 16:33 -0800, Mike White wrote:

To check your config file:

Sudo gedit /etc/ltsp/dhcpd.conf

Michael White
Technology Coordinator