Old 07-08-2011, 09:59 PM
Giacomo Trovato

Default Standard desktop on thin clients

Hi All,

I have just installed Edubutnu 11.04, with standard desktop (no
Ubiquity), but on my thin clients there is still Ubiquity.
Can I have the standard desktop on my thin clients?

Thanks!

Old 07-09-2011, 05:03 AM
Mike Biancaniello

had the same issue when I upgraded.

edit* /var/lib/tftpboot/ltsp/i386/lts.conf

add this:

[default]
LDM_XSESSION="gnome-session --session=classic-gnome"

If you want to only set classic for some terminals, you can add the setting under the appropriate section.

like:
[192.168.1.251]
LDM_XSESSION="gnome-session --session=classic-gnome"

or

[8e:6a:3f:3d:bf:22]
LDM_XSESSION="gnome-session --session=gnome"

Old 07-11-2011, 12:55 PM
Donaldson Jeffrey

Mike,

Thanks for the valuable information! Do you know if it is possible to
set this on a user level?

Thanks!

Jeff

Mike Biancaniello wrote:

had the same issue when I upgraded.

edit* /var/lib/tftpboot/ltsp/i386/lts.conf

add this:

[default]

LDM_XSESSION="gnome-session --session=classic-gnome"

If you want to only set classic for some terminals, you can add the
setting under the appropriate section.

like:

[192.168.1.251]

LDM_XSESSION="gnome-session --session=classic-gnome"

or

[8e:6a:3f:3d:bf:22]

LDM_XSESSION="gnome-session --session=gnome"

I have just installed Edubutnu 11.04, with standard desktop (no

Ubiquity), but on my thin clients there is still Ubiquity.

Can I have the standard desktop on my thin clients?

Thanks!

edubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com

Modify settings or unsubscribe at:

Jeff Donaldson
Data Services Manager
Newark Charter School
(302) 369-2001 ext:425
jdonaldson@ncs.k12.de.us

Old 07-11-2011, 02:33 PM
Mike Biancaniello

I'm not sure.
You can certainly try by doing something like:

[jeffd]

LDM_XSESSION="gnome-session --session=classic-gnome"

[mikeb]

LDM_XSESSION="gnome-session --session=gnome"

You may also try something like:
[standard]
LDM_USER=mikeb
LDM_XSESSION="gnome-session --session=gnome"

[oldschool]
LDM_USER=jeffd

LDM_XSESSION="gnome-session --session=classic-gnome"

I haven't tested these to see if they work, though, nor have I seen any documentation suggesting that it would work.

There are some great lts.conf resources:

http://doc.ubuntu.com/edubuntu/edubuntu/handbook/C/customizing-thin-client.html

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EdubuntuFAQ

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/karmic/man5/lts.conf.5.html