Old 02-12-2008, 09:01 PM
Uwe Geercken

Default Flash slow

hello friends,

today - first class after the holidays - I tested the flash video
tutorial again. I bootet one client to the ltsp server and started the
webtutorial which has a flash plugin.

although I was the only one on the quad core server with gigabit
switch and card, it runs unacceptably slow. so I guess something with
the setup and/or codecs is wrong. can somebody point me to where I
should start to look first.

rgds,

uwe

Old 02-13-2008, 01:08 PM
"Greg Reagle"

My experience with Flash on Edubuntu is also that it is very slow. I
have come to accept this, but if there is a solution that would be
great.

--
greg reagle | computer technician, system administrator | community it
innovators - CITI | 202-234-1600 ext. 353

Old 02-13-2008, 01:21 PM
Gavin McCullagh

Hi,

On Tue, 12 Feb 2008, Uwe Geercken wrote:

> today - first class after the holidays - I tested the flash video
> tutorial again. I bootet one client to the ltsp server and started the
> webtutorial which has a flash plugin.
>
> although I was the only one on the quad core server with gigabit
> switch and card, it runs unacceptably slow. so I guess something with
> the setup and/or codecs is wrong. can somebody point me to where I
> should start to look first.

Is the server slowing down or just the flash itself? Do the server and
other thin clients run okay while the flash is playing?

Have you tried LDM_DIRECTX=true ?

Does it work with gnash?

Gavin

Old 02-13-2008, 04:51 PM
Bill Moseley

On Tue, Feb 12, 2008 at 11:01:58PM +0100, Uwe Geercken wrote:

> hello friends,
>
> today - first class after the holidays - I tested the flash video
> tutorial again. I bootet one client to the ltsp server and started the
> webtutorial which has a flash plugin.
>
> although I was the only one on the quad core server with gigabit
> switch and card, it runs unacceptably slow. so I guess something with
> the setup and/or codecs is wrong. can somebody point me to where I
> should start to look first.

Could the client be an issue? I would not think so, but I setup at
home a small LTSP network with a few old Dells. The server is a
3.2GB/1GB RAM machine and one client is similar and my son plays
Flash-based games on it all the time without any problem.

--
Bill Moseley
moseley@hank.org

Old 02-14-2008, 06:48 PM
"David Van Assche"

Bill:
I'm assuming you meant 3.2 GHZ CPU and 1 GIG RAM.

Uwe:
Anyway, if you are running Quad Core, perhaps you are running 64 bit edubuntu? In which case Gnash seems to work better overall than flash (giving working sound et al.) If it's not that, perhaps you can give the link and someone on the list can check to see if they can duplicate the issue.

David

Old 02-14-2008, 07:38 PM
Uwe Geercken

no bill. I am running 32 bit. I was afraid to run into too many
problems with 64 bit and I don't really have any experience.

I will check some of the tips some members gave me next week.
unfortunately I have a class before me and one after me, so I don't
really have time for a lot of testing - the room is always occupied.

tks.

uwe